brynne has friend to donate to fish boat/ a plan

  • Brynne Sissom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2005
      Friends,
      I have a millionaire friend in Irving who has agreed
      to donate to the fishing boat.

      I think he would donate $1500 and maybe two challenge
      grants for $1500. Then we could raise a matching $3000
      and buy two boats. If we thought largely, we can do
      this. Then, as we present a check to Austin
      International Rescue, I can write the story up for the
      Irving Rambler because we have several Irving
      residents who are Returned Peace Corps Volunters. We
      would get publicity.

      Feedback??

      http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082205dninttsunami.815
> [...]
      > > enterprise for Acehnese, most of whom are
      > fishermen.
      > >

      > > The tsunami destroyed hundreds of fishing vessels,
      > > leaving many workers unemployed and dependent on
      > > government handouts.
      > >
      > > Six months ago, AIRO did not even exist. Mr. Bloom
      > > and the Lymans were just three Austinites who
      > showed
      > > up with no plan other than to help.
      > >
      > > They were an unlikely trio. Aaron Lyman, 46,
      > AIRO's
      > > president, has held several high-tech management
      > > jobs, most recently vice president for worldwide
      > > sales with SigmaTel, a leading Austin-based
      > computer
      > > chip supplier. He was involved in charity work in
      > > Indonesia from 1978 to 1980. His brother, Eric,
      > 45,
      > > is a world-record bungee jumper and "extreme
      > > adventurer" who has traveled extensively in South
      > > America and has 20 years of experience in the
      > > construction industry. Mr. Bloom, 50, is a former
      > > deputy commissioner with the Texas Rehabilitation
      > > Commission who served with the Peace Corps in
      > > Afghanistan.
      > >

      > > Modest motto
      > >
      > > "Our message, since Day One of this great
      > adventure,
      > > has been consistent: We simply hope people will
      > help
      > > each other in whatever way they can, and have fun
      > > doing it," Aaron Lyman said from Austin. "Within
      > > families, across the street or across the world,
      > we
      > > can all make a difference to help ease suffering
      > and
      > > sadness."
      > >
      > > The men could have donated money but instead
      > decided
      > > to fly to Indonesia for direct involvement.
      > >
      > > "We didn't know what we were going to do when we
      > > came here, whether we'd be pulling out dead bodies
      > > from rubble," Mr. Bloom said. "I started doing
      > > research and found this area was the center of
      > > fishing, that many people had lost their
      > > livelihoods."
      > >
      > > So that was the direction in which the men went.
      > > Shortly after arriving, they incorporated as AIRO,
      > > nonprofit agency, because, "We needed to be
      > > somebody," Mr. Bloom said. "We were not going to
      > get
      > > anywhere telling people we are three guys from
      > > Austin."
      > >
      > > The lean operation soon began to be noticed
      > because,
      > > in a gargantuan relief process tangled up in red
      > > tape and politics, it was getting things done
      > fast.
      > >
      > > "Because of our efficiency, our use of local
      > > craftsmen and materials and sensitivity to local
      > > cultures, we are getting outside funding for
      > almost
      > > 200 boats in-process now, with hundreds more still
      > > in need," Aaron Lyman said.
      > >
      > > Now, from a rented, three-story building, AIRO is
      > > helping whole villages and towns get back to the

      === message truncated ===

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs