Re: Fw: Dallas Morning News - 8.22.05 -- Texans help revive an Aceh tradition

  • Brynne Sissom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24 4:02 PM
      Ed, I was inspired by this story too. I've been in
      touch with Aaron by email already. If we wanted to
      sponsor a boat, they say it's around $3000. I figure a
      few groups together could raise that for a boat. Maybe
      it could be christened with a name that unites
      Americans and Indonesians together.
      Brynne

      http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082205dninttsunami.815f92a.html

> [...]
      >
      > "Because of our efficiency, our use of local
      > craftsmen and materials and sensitivity to local
      > cultures, we are getting outside funding for almost
      > 200 boats in-process now, with hundreds more still
      > in need," Aaron Lyman said.
      >
      > Now, from a rented, three-story building, AIRO is
      > helping whole villages and towns get back to the
      > business of making a living.
      >

      > Building boats
      >
      > AIRO already has placed 10 boats in the water, is
      > under contract to build 56 more and has submitted to
      > prospective funding agencies one proposal for a
      > 100-boat project and another for 11 boats, including
      > a 23-meter (about 76 feet) behemoth.
      >
      > While the three men paid for their first 10 boats
      > mostly out of pocket, they have since settled into
      > the role of broker. Needy fishermen's co-ops seek
      > them out for help, and the men convert those
      > requests into professional proposals, with relevant
      > specs and budgets, that they then submit to funding
      > agencies, including the U.N. and the Mormon Church.
      >
      > "They're looking for clean, pre- and post-tsunami
      > data, commitment from surviving boat craftsmen and a
      > team of workers we've assembled, approval from local
      > authorities including landlords, mayors and sea
      > commanders, reliable suppliers and, of course,
      > quality work," Mr. Bloom said.
      >
      > AIRO's headquarters, which the men are renovating,
      > is a hive of activity because of workmen hammering
      > and caulking the space into livability and due to
      > the parade of village elders arriving with proposals
      > for funding.
      >
      > AIRO will not deal with individuals or families. Any
      > request must arrive vetted and approved by the
      > yayasan, or community organization, and signed off
      > on by village elders, including the geuchik, or
      > mayor, and the panglima laot, or top fisheries
      > official.
      >
      > "That way we know that we are helping the people
      > most in need and as many people as we can and with
      > the blessing of all the local authorities," Mr.
      > Bloom said.
      >

      > Help wanted
      >
      > To a back office, with rubble and sunken boats still
      > visible through the window, supplicants come with
      > stamped paperwork and eager faces.
      >
      > "The economy is destroyed. We don't have money or
      > boats," explained Abdulhadi, 48, the ketua, or
      > chief, of one yayasan. He had driven six hours from
      > Lhokseumawe to make the case for 100 boats to be
      > shared by two towns, six villages and four co-ops.
      >
      > "Ninety percent of our 140 boats were destroyed. If
      > we get this project, we can help people who don't
      > have work now return to the sea," said Abdulhadi,
      > who, like many Indonesians, uses only one name.
      >
      > Minutes later, Mr. Bloom heard a proposal from
      > 32-year-old Ayi Yusrizal from Lampulo and two other
      > men from Mulia, two villages that had united to
      > appeal for help. They were seeking 10 11-meter boats
      > and a 23-meter vessel. The latter boat would have a
      > 1,200-meter fish-netting system that alone would
      === message truncated ===

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs