RE: [N Tx Peace Corps] Mandatory Dues Versus Oprtional Dues RPCV Groups

  • John Caldeira
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
      Ed,

      I support inclusion on non-paying members on the membership list. The
      direct costs associated with having a member on the list is minimal, and
      perhaps non-existent if the member is not receiving a paper version of the
      newsletter. Regardless, it's only a few dollars each year, and the group
      gets that back through increased participation in fund-raising events.

      The "optional dues" structure proved itself successful during the 1990's in
      this North Texas Peace Corps Association. When I was newsletter editor in
      the mid 1990's, we allowed members to remain on the list any of 3 ways (1)
      pay dues, (2) attend one or more events during a year, or (3) simply confirm
      to NTPCA annually that you want to remain on the list. It worked well.

      Thank you for raising this question on the email list.

      John

      John Caldeira (RPCV Fiji 1985-87)
      Cell: 972-890-3725
      http://www.outdoorplace.org/

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005

        It may help to send out a notice when a membership expires.  If I had to guess, I probably owe dues for the year but I not sure when my membership expires.  I don't have any issue with paying dues to support the group but I simply fail to think about it unless it is brought to my attention.

        >From: "Crispin R." <Crispin_Reedy@...>
        >To: Ed Hromatka <hromatka@...>,  North Texas RPCVs <North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [N Tx Peace Corps] Mandatory Dues Versus Oprtional Dues RPCV Groups
        >Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Well, I'm a "paying but not participating" member because I wanna support the group and I make it to one or two activities a year but there are so many things going on in MY life, I'm just not all that free.  I don't think the
        dues are particularly high but perhaps others think differently.   I think it would be fine to open it up to non-dues-paying members -- why not? It seems to me that the biggest expense of the group -- maybe I am wrong-- is the newsletter.  However my HOA's yearly dues are only $15 / year and we put out a quarterly newsletter to the whole neighborhood -- although we don't have to pay for postage.  Perhaps people could opt to only rec'v the newsletter online?  Although if that is the case I have to admit I would prefer a link to a webpage rather than a PDF.  A pdf has to get downloaded and saved which I don't often do, but webpages are easy to check...

> [...]
        >
        >Further,  I am not sure how to relocate those
        RPCVs who have not pain and to which we have lost contact.  It is easy to switch from a optional dues group to a mandatory dues group, but it is hard to relocate those non-paying RPCVs after so many years.

        >I also think that such a major change should be  voted by the membership at the annual meeting,
        >
        >Best wishes,
        >
        >Ed Hromatka
        >972-722-5254  -  home
        >214-767-2169 - work
        >214-564-7201 - cell
        >

        >To send an email to all members of this group, mail to:
        >North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >To view past emails or change your membership settings, visit our website at:

        >Fort worth texas hotel Apartment in fort worth texas Real
        estate dallas fort worth texas Dallas fort worth

        >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >

        >---------------------------------
        >

        >---------------------------------
        >  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
      • alan.p.strom
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
          I guess I fall into this group of returned volunteers as well. Specifically:

          1.  I don't mind paying dues to support the local NTRPCV Group....in fact, it seems only reasonable to pay my fair share to support something I believe is important.  But, I am never sure if my dues are paid current....doesn't seem like there is any regular system for notifying the local members.

          2.  At this point in my life I don't seem to be able to take part in as many NTRPCV activities as I would like, but do manage to be part of several each year.

          3..  Given the (assumedly) high number of RPCVs with email, the economics of communications has changed from the snail mail days.  In other organizations to which I belong (e.g. a Swedish-American Lodge) there are some events which are open to due paying members and other events (often fund raising events like dinners, and ethnic festivals, etc)  to which the general Swedish-American and expatriate Swedish Dallas community and their organizations are invited.  There exist significant email data bases for people in these groups and they are basically cost-free to send out.  Also, in our lodge we follow the practice of inviting non-members to attend some meetings as visitors to see if they are interested in joining and provide them with the newsletter for three months.  After that they usually either join and pay dues or decide they are not interested.  With respect to fund raisers, it is in our own interest to get as many people to participate as we can, so non dues paying members are invited.

          In essence, I am suggesting that a model which combines some due-paying member events and some non-dues paying member events might be workable and in the interest of the NTRPCV organization.  Also, we need a better way of communicating when dues need to be paid.

          Regards,

          Alan Strom