Mandatory Dues Versus Oprtional Dues RPCV Groups

  • Ed Hromatka
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2005

      There has a been lengthy blogs on the NTPCA leaders email line lately about Returned Peace Corps Associations groups that have mandatory dues and those that optional dues.

      On a related topic, we reflected on the low number pf paid members at our last Steering Committee meeting.  Let combine of those two items and let me hear your reactions and thoughts.

      Although I had been the President of the RPCV group in 1980-1981 (that subsequently died in 1985), Gary Zimny told me in the early 90s to come to some of the new RPCV group's activities and I could decide to pay dues at a later date if I wanted to do so.  Thus, I got involved again and eventually became a dues paying member.

      When in the mid-90s I agreed to do the NTPCA's data base, there were about 450 RPCVs on the North Texas mailing list, but only about 110 or 120 were actually dues paying members of NTPCA.  However, eventually North Texas Peace Corps Association decided to become a "mandatory dues" paying group (when I was not routinely involved in what evolved into the Steering Committee).

      Moreover, when I became "Facilitator" of the NTPCA last February, our North Texas RPCV group had fallen down in 40 some odd paying members.

      In short, the argument for mandatory dues membership is that "free loaders" are taking advantage of those who are financially supporting the group; that is not fair and equitable.

      The argument for optional dues is that  the group is giving a service to the betterment of the Peace Corps ideals,  the non-payers frequently support the group in others ways, like come to International Fund Raiser or help on Service projects, and the non-dues payers frequently eventually decide to pay dues.

      I am basically a pragmatist,  not an ideologue.   I am observing that current basic policy of semi-requiring RPCVs to pay dues to come to North Texas Peace Corps Association events has not work very well.  We are losing members and our people are burning out and are losing interest.

      Personally I believe that it is time to go back to being an optional dues group.  I think it is best to reach out and find the 600 -1000 RPCVS in North Texas again.  I think it is in the best interest of NTPCA to again invite non-dues payers to all NTPCA events.  But I may be all alone on this topic.  Do you agree or disagree?  That is,  I want to start a dialogue on this topic and want some input from others.

      Further,  I am not sure how to relocate those RPCVs who have not pain and to which we have lost contact.  It is easy to switch from a optional dues group to a mandatory dues group, but it is hard to relocate those non-paying RPCVs after so many years.

      I also think that such a major change should be  voted by the membership at the annual meeting,

      Best wishes,

      Ed Hromatka
      972-722-5254  -  home
      214-767-2169 - work
      214-564-7201 - cell
    • Crispin R.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2005
        Well, I'm a "paying but not participating" member because I wanna support the group and I make it to one or two activities a year but there are so many things going on in MY life, I'm just not all that free.  I don't think the dues are particularly high but perhaps others think differently.   I think it would be fine to open it up to non-dues-paying members -- why not? It seems to me that the biggest expense of the group -- maybe I am wrong-- is the newsletter.  However my HOA's yearly dues are only $15 / year and we put out a quarterly newsletter to the whole neighborhood -- although we don't have to pay for postage.  Perhaps people could opt to only rec'v the newsletter online?  Although if that is the case I have to admit I would prefer a link to a webpage rather than a PDF.  A pdf has to get downloaded and saved which I don't often do, but webpages are easy to check...

        just a collection of my two cents...

        cheers,

        Ed Hromatka <hromatka@...> wrote:

[...]

      • John Caldeira
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
          Ed,

          I support inclusion on non-paying members on the membership list. The
          direct costs associated with having a member on the list is minimal, and
          perhaps non-existent if the member is not receiving a paper version of the
          newsletter. Regardless, it's only a few dollars each year, and the group
          gets that back through increased participation in fund-raising events.

          The "optional dues" structure proved itself successful during the 1990's in
          this North Texas Peace Corps Association. When I was newsletter editor in
          the mid 1990's, we allowed members to remain on the list any of 3 ways (1)
          pay dues, (2) attend one or more events during a year, or (3) simply confirm
          to NTPCA annually that you want to remain on the list. It worked well.

          Thank you for raising this question on the email list.

          John

          John Caldeira (RPCV Fiji 1985-87)
          Cell: 972-890-3725
          http://www.outdoorplace.org/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005

            It may help to send out a notice when a membership expires.  If I had to guess, I probably owe dues for the year but I not sure when my membership expires.  I don't have any issue with paying dues to support the group but I simply fail to think about it unless it is brought to my attention.

> [...]
            >
            >Further,  I am not sure how to relocate those
            RPCVs who have not pain and to which we have lost contact.  It is easy to switch from a optional dues group to a mandatory dues group, but it is hard to relocate those non-paying RPCVs after so many years.

            >I also think that such a major change should be  voted by the membership at the annual meeting,
            >
            >Best wishes,
            >
            >Ed Hromatka
            >972-722-5254  -  home
            >214-767-2169 - work
            >214-564-7201 - cell
            >

            >To send an email to all members of this group, mail to:
            >North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >To view past emails or change your membership settings, visit our website at:

            >Fort worth texas hotel Apartment in fort worth texas Real
            estate dallas fort worth texas Dallas fort worth

            >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            >---------------------------------
            >

            >---------------------------------
            >  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
          • alan.p.strom
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
              I guess I fall into this group of returned volunteers as well. Specifically:

              1.  I don't mind paying dues to support the local NTRPCV Group....in fact, it seems only reasonable to pay my fair share to support something I believe is important.  But, I am never sure if my dues are paid current....doesn't seem like there is any regular system for notifying the local members.

              2.  At this point in my life I don't seem to be able to take part in as many NTRPCV activities as I would like, but do manage to be part of several each year.

              3..  Given the (assumedly) high number of RPCVs with email, the economics of communications has changed from the snail mail days.  In other organizations to which I belong (e.g. a Swedish-American Lodge) there are some events which are open to due paying members and other events (often fund raising events like dinners, and ethnic festivals, etc)  to which the general Swedish-American and expatriate Swedish Dallas community and their organizations are invited.  There exist significant email data bases for people in these groups and they are basically cost-free to send out.  Also, in our lodge we follow the practice of inviting non-members to attend some meetings as visitors to see if they are interested in joining and provide them with the newsletter for three months.  After that they usually either join and pay dues or decide they are not interested.  With respect to fund raisers, it is in our own interest to get as many people to participate as we can, so non dues paying members are invited.

              In essence, I am suggesting that a model which combines some due-paying member events and some non-dues paying member events might be workable and in the interest of the NTRPCV organization.  Also, we need a better way of communicating when dues need to be paid.

              Regards,

              Alan Strom