Job opportunity in Houston with Amigos de las Americas
POSITION TITLE: Training Director
Amigos de las Américas International Office
SALARY: $30,000 - $40,000 depending on experience; excellent benefits
HEADQUARTERS: Houston, Texas
DEADLINE: Open until filled. Ideal start date would be August 2005
Amigos de las Américas (AMIGOS) is an international, voluntary, not-for-profit organization established in 1965. AMIGOS' mission is to build partnerships to empower young leaders, advance community development, and strengthen multi-cultural understanding in the Americas. For more information about AMIGOS, visit our website at www.amigoslink.org. AMIGOS is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
The Training Director is responsible for curriculum development and implementation of training events that serve the needs of a diverse array of AMIGOS youth volunteers, Latin American project staff, and chapter trainers.
· Bachelor's degree.
· Relevant professional experience with training, youth service organizations or secondary education.
· Must be willing and able to travel within the United States and to Latin America and to work some evenings and weekends.
· During operation of the summer Latin American program, extended vacation leave cannot be taken.
· Fluency in written and spoken Spanish. Ability to effectively conduct training events in Spanish.
· Basic computer and word processing proficiency.
· At least two years of full-time professional experience in secondary teaching or training with youth.
· Knowledge and skills in experiential education program design, leadership skills development, service learning, second language instruction, and diversity training.
· Recent, ongoing involvement with AMIGOS, including chapter trainer experience.
· Extensive personal cross-cultural experiences, preferably in Latin America.
· The ideal candidate would commit to at least three years in the position.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Inspirational, enthusiastic leader with the ability to anticipate and effectively address a wide range of organizational training needs.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective group trainer and speaker at meetings and in front of groups.
· Ability to provide effective long-distance technical assistance and support.
· Creativity, initiative, and attention to detail.
· Ability to relate to a variety of people with ease.
· Adept at working within and facilitating groups, including a sensitivity and commitment to effective group process.
· Ability to quickly assess situations and make sound decisions within cross-cultural environments.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assists and supports AMIGOS chapter Training Directors. Responds promptly and effectively to trainers' requests for ideas, activities, and resources. Travels to chapter cities to conduct on-site consultation with trainers.
· Promotes service-learning objectives throughout AMIGOS volunteer training.
· Develops, updates and oversees production of all volunteer training materials, including Training Director Manual, Training Curriculum Guide, Volunteer Handbook, Volunteer Program Guides and volunteer assessment tools. Develops curriculum and supplemental training materials as needed.
· Plans, coordinates, and evaluates Training Director Field Trip to Latin America during the summer and the Fall workshop for chapter trainers.
· Prepares and monitors training budgets.
· Consults with other International Office staff to design, document, implement, facilitate and evaluate Latin American project staff training workshops.
· Designs, supervises and facilitates Correspondent Volunteer training program.
· Responds to inquiries about AMIGOS training. Makes presentations and reports on training-related themes at International Board and Chapter President meetings.
· Serves on the International Office Emergency On-call team while volunteer programs in Latin America are operational.
· Reports to the Director of Latin American Programs. Frequent and direct communication with the Director of Volunteer Administration and his/her staff.
· Provides technical assistance and support to trainers in about 25 AMIGOS chapter groups throughout the United States.
· Interacts frequently with International Office staff, Board members, chapter leaders, volunteer trainers, project staff, and professional organizations.
Submit resume and cover letter highlighting qualifications to:
Mario Molina, Director of Administration/CFO
Amigos de las Américas
5618 Star Lane
Houston, Texas 77057
207 S. Houston St., Room 527
Dallas, TX 75202
Regional Recruiter/Interim Public Affairs Specialist
Phone: 214-253-5417 or 1800-424-8580, option 1, X-5417