Hearts & Hammers

  • chapinr75081
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2004
      Saturday, Sept. 18th, Starting at 7:30 a.m. All Day!

      Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by Dallas
      RPCV Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled Dallas
      homeowners. Throughout the year the H&H Planning Council works with
      the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep
      their homes' exteriors within city code. H&H gathers materials,
      volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the
      needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.
      This year our North Texas Peace Corps Association house is located in
      East Oak Cliff near the zoo at 1510 Peru Ave. Our homeowners are Mr.
      and Mrs. Jessie Arbor, both retired, he from Firestone and she as a
      beautician. They have lived in the house for 41 years, and though Mr.
      Arbor has a pacemaker now he continues to enjoy gardening and keeping
      up his yard. The work the house needs is straightforward and very
      much needed-scrape, paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail,
      etc. We will need a full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel you
      don't have any technical skills please come because you will learn on
      the job and have a fulfilling time.

      I'm continuing to seek free lunch for us all-but if not we'll buy it
      in the neighborhood somewhere. Anyone know any resources for lunch?
      Will your company/group sponsor our lunch?

      What to bring: 3 empty gallon plastic jugs, 2 4" paintbrushes,
      scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages
      (no beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, circular saw, LADDERS,
      hammers, yard tools and lots of elbow grease. I am your captain this
      year, please call me to sign up and ask any other questions.

      Directions: Take I-35 south through downtown Dallas, exit 8 th St.
      and go left back across the highway. Follow 8 th a mile or so to
      Corinth St. and go right. After about 5-6 blocks go right on Peru.
      The house is 1/2way up the block on left.

      This is always a fun and worthwhile community service we do, and the
      smiles and appreciation of the homeowners are the best. See you there!

      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands, 1977-80
      (214) 357-8337 home; (214) 649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...