Reminder - Hearts & Hammers

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2004

      Hearts & Hammers

      Date: Saturday, September 18, 2004
      Time: All Day

      Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by
      Dallas RPCV Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled
      Dallas homeowners. Throughout the year the H&H Planning Council
      works with the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need
      assistance to keep their homes� exteriors within city code.
      H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each team
      chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated
      work-once a year on workday.

      This year our N. Texas Peace Corps Association house is located
      in East Oak Cliff near the zoo at 1510 Peru Ave. Our homeowners
      are Mr. and Mrs. Jessie Arbor, both retired, he from Firestone
      and she as a beautician. They have lived in the house for 41
      years, and though Mr. Arbor has a pacemaker now he continues to
      enjoy gardening and keeping up his yard.

      The work the house needs is straightforward and very much
      needed-scrape, paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail,
      etc. We will need a full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel
      you don�t have any technical skills please come because you
      will learn on the job and have a fulfilling time.

      I�m continuing to seek free lunch for us all-but if not
      we�ll buy it in the neighborhood somewhere. Anyone know any
      resources for lunch? Will your company/group sponsor our lunch?

      What to bring: 3 empty gallon plastic jugs, 2 4�
      paintbrushes, scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen,
      a hat, beverages (no beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags,
      circular saw, LADDERS, hammers, yard tools and lots of elbow
      grease. I am your captain this year, please call me to sign up
      and ask any other questions.

      Directions: Take I-35 south through downtown Dallas, exit 8th
      St. and go left back across the highway. Follow 8th a mile or
      so to Corinth St. and go right. After about 5-6 blocks go
      right on Peru. The house is 1/2way up the block on left.

      This is always a fun and worthwhile community service we do, and
      the smiles and appreciation of the