Gaddi Vasquez resigns as Peace Corps Director

  • chapinr75081
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2003
      Gaddi Vasquez's statement to Peace Corps Staff:

      ALL PEACE CORPS ANNOUNCEMENT FROM DIRECTOR GADDI H. VASQUEZ

      It is with mixed emotions that I am announcing to you that I have
      resigned as Director of the Peace Corps effective November 14, 2003.
      In my resignation letter to President George W. Bush, I wrote, "The
      Peace Corps is well positioned to expand and achieve even more in the
      21st century. In my view, the Peace Corps remains one of the most
      viable means to train men and women in host countries and do so with
      effectiveness and positive outcomes of which we can be proud."

      On February 15, 2002, I was privileged to assume the role of Peace
      Corps Director. The honor and opportunity to lead an agency with such
      a noble mission has been one of the great highlights of my
      professional life. During my time as Director, I have met hundreds of
      Peace Corps Volunteers who are engaged in remarkable work and are
      advancing the first and second goals of Peace Corps. I have traveled
      to 24 countries and all 11 recruiting offices and have enjoyed the
      opportunity to meet and work with exceptional staff who are performing
      a great service in support of the Volunteers' work. I have also had
      the opportunity to meet RPCVs in many states and appreciate their
      continuing commitment to advancing the third goal of the Peace Corps.
      I am confident that the Peace Corps is well positioned to achieve
      much in the 21st century.

      Since I have become the Director, the Peace Corps has established
      programs in nine countries and is poised to grow in the coming years.
      Much of what has been accomplished is due to the strong partnership
      between Peace Corps Washington and field staff in the United States
      and overseas. From recruiters to desk officers and from medical staff
      to safety and security personnel every man and woman I have met
      represent the finest of Peace Corps professionals. It has been my
      honor to serve with each of you.

      I will always be grateful to President Bush for the high honor and
      confidence he had in nominating me to serve. Moreover, he has been a
      strong advocate and proponent of Peace Corps and his continued support
      throughout his Presidency has been extraordinary.

      As I prepare to return to California, I will fondly remember the
      friendships and the support that so many of you have given to me since
      my first day at Peace Corps. I am proud of what has been accomplished
      and each of you has made a contribution to that effort. Together we
      have made a difference, achieved many objectives, and we have created
      new opportunities for all Americans to serve in the Peace Corps. I
      thank you for your dedicated service.