Further information about the negative PC article

  • chapinr75081
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19 4:36 AM
      Following the item in this week's NPCANews on a possible series about
      security issues, the Peace Corps asked us to send you this background
      information (see below).

      If you have any comments or questions, please direct them to
      president@... <mailto:president@...>.

      Anne Baker
      Director of Global Education and Technology
      National Peace Corps Association

      >From the Peace Corps:

      Based on numerous discussions with the reporter, we believe the
      upcomingseries about Peace Corps by Russell Carollo, which is
      scheduled to run October 26th, will provide a misleading picture of
      the Peace Corps andPeace Corps Volunteer service, particularly with
      respect to safety and security. For example, Mr. Carollo indicated he
      would print that assaults and rapes have substantially increased in
      recent years. However, the facts are that Peace Corps data shows a
      significant decrease in the rate of major sexual assault events over
      the past six years as this type of assault event is down by more than
      30 percent since 1997. As NPCA members know, Peace Corps has placed
      and continues to place its highest priority on the safety and security
      of Volunteers. Every Peace Corps directorn beginning with Sargent
      Shriver has maintained this focus and added training, procedures, and
      systems as region and world circumstances change. Utilizing this
      focus, and through its reporting and trackingn systems, Peace Corps
      has achieved great successes in recent years in reducing major assault
      incidents and rapes. Unfortunately, we believe that this fact will not
      be represented in the article. We also understand that this story
      will argue that the world is too dangerous a place for Peace
      Corps Volunteers and will include selected and not representational
      anecdotes and incidents spanning the past 30 plus years. We also have
      great concerns about the intentions of the reporter, who stated to
      Kevin Quigley, among others, after Kevin informed Mr. Carollo of the
      many positive attributes of the Peace Corps, that many others have
      said the same thing. Mr. Carollo further stated that Peace Corps is
      an agency that has had nothing but good stories written about it over
      the past 40 years. He then said he was not interested in these
      positive remarks; he was interested in the problems.