Fwd: Scholarships for High School Study Abroad

  • Yahoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25 10:39 AM

    Sent from my iPhone

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: NSLI-Y <nsliy@...>
    Date: September 25, 2013, 10:08:07 AM CDT
    To: Undisclosed recipients:;
    Subject: Scholarships for High School Study Abroad

    Dear fellow RPCVs,

    Did you know that the U.S. Department of State offers full scholarships to high school students to study abroad for short-term or for an academic year?  Many of our exchange programs are with Peace Corps countries – and sometimes our participants even have the opportunity to meet Peace Corps Volunteers while on program.  Our programs are focused on leadership development and building mutual understanding and long-lasting relationships. Just as the Peace Corps was a transformational for most of us – high school exchange programs often help to shape the future educational and career goals of the youth participants. Many tell us that they now see themselves as citizens of the world and want focus their careers on building a better, more peaceful world.

    We are now actively applicants for the 2014-15 programs and would greatly appreciate your help in spreading the word far and wide through your communities and networks.   The announcement is attached and the same text is copied below for easy forwarding.  The deadline for the NSLI-Y application is November 5, so the time frame is short for that program; the others will have December or January deadlines.

    If you have any questions, or would like a supply of hardcopy brochures, please let me know.

    Many thanks!

    Warm regards,

    Carol Hammaker Radomski (PC/Philippines, 1980-83)

    Carol A. Radomski, PhD

    Program Officer

    Youth Programs Division

    Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs

    U.S. Department of State

    Telephone: 202-632-9354

    Email: RadomskiCA@...

    U.S. Department of State Announces
    Scholarships for American High School Students to Study Abroad

    The National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) offers merit-based scholarships to U. S. high-school aged students for overseas study of seven critical foreign languages:  Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian and Turkish.  The NSLI-Y program is designed to immerse participants in the cultural life of the host country, giving them invaluable formal and informal language practice and sparking a lifetime interest in foreign languages and cultures.  Applications for summer 2014 and academic year 2014-2015 programs are due November 5, 2013.  Visit www.nsliforyouth.org for more information.

    The Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad Program offers scholarships to American high school students to spend the 2014-15 academic year in countries that may include Bosnia & Herzegovina, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mali (semester), Morocco, Oman, South Africa, Thailand, Tunisia, and Turkey. This post 9/11 program focuses on increasing understanding between people in the U.S. and countries with significant Muslim populations. Visit www.yes-abroad.org for more information.

    The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program (CBYX) was established in 1983 to celebrate German-American friendship based on common values of democracy.  Secondary school students, ages 15-18, live with host families, attend local schools, and participate in community life in Germany.  Young professionals (undergraduates) and high school graduates of vocational studies, ages 18-24, study and participate in practical training.  Scholarships are now available for academic year 2014-15.  For more information and application deadlines, visit the organization in charge of recruitment for your state at http://www.usagermanyscholarship.org/

    The American Youth Leadership Program offers opportunities for American high students and educators to travel abroad on a three- to four-week-long exchange program to gain first-hand knowledge of foreign cultures and to collaborate on solving global issues.   Several different organizations implement this program, and each has organized an academic and experiential educational exchange focused on dialogue and debate, leadership development, and community service. Recruitment areas and application deadlines vary, so please check the http://exchanges.state.gov/us/program/youth-leadership-programs website for more information.

    This email is UNCLASSIFIED.