Re: [N Tx Peace Corps] RPCVs in Fort Worth

  • M Wald
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
      If we are in the suggestion mode, I think getting RPCVs involved in the local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) activities is a natural fit.  CERTteaches how to lead people to survive without all the comforts we know in the event of a natural, chemical, nuclear, or other disaster, and how to triage limited resources.  I have been through the training and CERT has continuing needs for drills and public gathering volunteers all the time.  For all I know CERT may even be assisting with crowds at the gallery crawl, as they do that with similar events in Dallas.  I am just not as familiar with the activities in Ft. Worth as I am with those in Dallas.

      Michael Wald
      Panama 2008-2010

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
        Good idea, count me in!
        David Metcalf
        Dominican Republic 93-95

        To: North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
          I like the Idea of the CERT program as well.  Can you update us on the contact information for the program?

          I'd like to suggest an activity for the North Texas RPCVs in the area.  Every six months Fort Worth Southside has what they call- Arts Goggle- a "gallery crawl".  They shut down a couple of streets just south of downtown (Magnolia street and Forest Park), turn all the businesses and restaurants into art galleries for local artists, and give out free wine and beer.  It's a great way to support local artists, and have a little fun.  They haven't posted the date yet- but my guess will be that it will happen sometime in Feb. or March.  It's an afternoon/early evening event- but there is always downtown Fort Worth afterwards (free parking garages and free meters).  I know it's early, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone is interested.

          Loren
          Namibia 07-09

        • J. Michael Herrington
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 19, 2011
            Keep us posted. We'll see how things develop.

            Mike (Ecuador)

[...]

          • Erin Finn
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
              This sounds great!  I'm a RPCV (Lesotho 03-05) in Fort Worth.  I just finished grad school, so I have more time now.  I would love to team up with other FW RPCVs and help sponsor some events - as was discussed in some previous messages.  Happy new year everyone!

              Erin

              I'd like to suggest an activity for the North Texas RPCVs in the area.  Every six months Fort Worth Southside has what they call- Arts Goggle- a "gallery crawl".  They shut down a couple of streets just south of downtown (Magnolia street and Forest Park), turn all the businesses and restaurants into art galleries for local artists, and give out free wine and beer.  It's a great way to support local artists, and have a little fun.  They haven't posted the date yet- but my guess will be that it will happen sometime in Feb. or March.  It's an afternoon/early evening event- but there is always downtown Fort Worth afterwards (free parking garages and free meters).  I know it's early, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone is interested.

              Loren
              Namibia 07-09

            • Sadie Funk
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
                I actually live in the Lofts right there where the art festival is.  My landlord helps to host the whole event.  If people are interested, I would love to have you all over before/after for drinks and whatever.

                See you all then!

                Sadie