Re: [N Tx Peace Corps] RPCVs in Fort Worth

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
      Let me provide a little background in response to Joc's email below.  The North Texas Peace Corps Association (NTPCA) tries to cover the entire North Texas area; as such, we deliberately move events around a large multi-county geographic area.  For example, we have scheduled two Happy Hours in Tarrant County in the past six months or so.  We have had several International Dinners in the past in Fort Worth and in Arlington.  We had a RPCV group visit to the Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art last spring.  Bryan G hosted an "PC Advocacy Workshop" event at TCU last June.  Mike H had a 50th Anniversary event at his FW church last March. And we had a Fort Worth "Pub Crawl" about two years ago. etc.  etc.

      On the other hand, when we have a RPCV event in Tarrant County, usually about 70 % to 80 % of the RPCVs who attend are from Dallas or Dallas suburbs.

      Moreover, NTPCA has a rather unique structure.  It does not have a Board of Directors; instead it has a "Steering Committee."   Anyone who attends a steering committee meeting can have an immediate say in the organization and its events.  It does not have a "President;" it has a "Facilitator."  That means that if someone has an idea, he/she can make a proposal, and "Take Ownership" of the project.  (Please consider me "an Indian", not a chief.)

      (Personally, I'd think NTPCA probably needs to do something more in Denton County; we only had one Happy Hour in the past year in Lewisville.  On the other hand, that is long way from my home in Rockwall County.)

      What I am trying to lead up to is that if you have an idea for some RPCV event in Tarrant County, we all would like to hear it.  For example, you know of a great place in FW for a Happy Hour-type event, check out the place, and decide on a time and date, prepare an email, and it will be sent to the entire email list and posted on the NTPCA Facebook page.  Or, if you want to host a Zambia party in your home or meet some RPCVs at an African restaurant, do the same.

      Finally, we are always looking for new places for our regular monthly happy hour -- typically on the last Thursday of the month (not December).  Do you have a place with good beer/wine prices, not too crowded, and with adequate free parking?

      Ed Hromatka
      RPCV/Ecuador

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
          If we are in the suggestion mode, I think getting RPCVs involved in the local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) activities is a natural fit.  CERTteaches how to lead people to survive without all the comforts we know in the event of a natural, chemical, nuclear, or other disaster, and how to triage limited resources.  I have been through the training and CERT has continuing needs for drills and public gathering volunteers all the time.  For all I know CERT may even be assisting with crowds at the gallery crawl, as they do that with similar events in Dallas.  I am just not as familiar with the activities in Ft. Worth as I am with those in Dallas.

          Michael Wald
          Panama 2008-2010

          I'd like to suggest an activity for the North Texas RPCVs in the area.  Every six months Fort Worth Southside has what they call- Arts Goggle- a "gallery crawl".  They shut down a couple of streets just south of downtown (Magnolia street and Forest Park), turn all the businesses and restaurants into art galleries for local artists, and give out free wine and beer.  It's a great way to support local artists, and have a little fun.  They haven't posted the date yet- but my guess will be that it will happen sometime in Feb. or March.  It's an afternoon/early evening event- but there is always downtown Fort Worth afterwards (free parking garages and free meters).  I know it's early, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone is interested.

          Loren
          Namibia 07-09

        • David Metcalf
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
            Good idea, count me in!
            David Metcalf
            Dominican Republic 93-95

            To: North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2011
              I like the Idea of the CERT program as well.  Can you update us on the contact information for the program?

              I'd like to suggest an activity for the North Texas RPCVs in the area.  Every six months Fort Worth Southside has what they call- Arts Goggle- a "gallery crawl".  They shut down a couple of streets just south of downtown (Magnolia street and Forest Park), turn all the businesses and restaurants into art galleries for local artists, and give out free wine and beer.  It's a great way to support local artists, and have a little fun.  They haven't posted the date yet- but my guess will be that it will happen sometime in Feb. or March.  It's an afternoon/early evening event- but there is always downtown Fort Worth afterwards (free parking garages and free meters).  I know it's early, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone is interested.

              Loren
              Namibia 07-09

            • J. Michael Herrington
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 19, 2011
                Keep us posted. We'll see how things develop.

                Mike (Ecuador)

[...]

              • Erin Finn
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
                  This sounds great!  I'm a RPCV (Lesotho 03-05) in Fort Worth.  I just finished grad school, so I have more time now.  I would love to team up with other FW RPCVs and help sponsor some events - as was discussed in some previous messages.  Happy new year everyone!

                  Erin

                  I'd like to suggest an activity for the North Texas RPCVs in the area.  Every six months Fort Worth Southside has what they call- Arts Goggle- a "gallery crawl".  They shut down a couple of streets just south of downtown (Magnolia street and Forest Park), turn all the businesses and restaurants into art galleries for local artists, and give out free wine and beer.  It's a great way to support local artists, and have a little fun.  They haven't posted the date yet- but my guess will be that it will happen sometime in Feb. or March.  It's an afternoon/early evening event- but there is always downtown Fort Worth afterwards (free parking garages and free meters).  I know it's early, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone is interested.

                  Loren
                  Namibia 07-09

                • Sadie Funk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
                    I actually live in the Lofts right there where the art festival is.  My landlord helps to host the whole event.  If people are interested, I would love to have you all over before/after for drinks and whatever.

                    See you all then!

                    Sadie