Re: How to keep PC relevant for another 50 years

  • billthomason54
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011
      Thanks, Tara, for your recent post about Larry Brown's new book, PEASANTS COME LAST: A MEMOIR OF THE PEACE CORPS AT FIFTY. I found the following on the author's blog:

      "... What was unexpected, however, was the pettiness of Peace Corps leadership regarding the release of my new book, Peasants Come Last: A Memoir of the Peace Corps at Fifty. I love the agency as much as anyone, and believe that John Kennedy's idea to create it was one of the best gifts our nation has ever given the world. But it is now broken in important ways, and needs revamping for the next fifty years. But Peace Corps wasn't buying into the discussion:

      Peace Corps security tried to run marketers handing out leaflets about the book off the public sidewalk in front of HQ,
      Peace Corps asked the Capitol Police to be sure that I said "nothing controversial" at a luncheon for Peace Corps book authors at the Library of Congress—and indeed, a burly man confronted me with the message as to the appropriate decorum for this seventy year-old man, and
      Even the National Peace Corps Association got into the act by disrupting a television interview I was giving, again on a public sidewalk, prior to Bill Moyer's speech about the future of the agency.

      Prior to his speech, Moyers, the founding Deputy Director under Sargent Shriver, had reviewed a copy of the Peace Corps organization chart, containing the Director, Deputy Director, Chief of Staff, three Regional Directors, the Chief over the three Regional Directors, the Operations Chiefs for each of the divisions, the Desk Officers, and the additional minions… and shook his head: "This is no longer the agency we created," Moyers lamented to a television documentary producer.

      Indeed, it is not, and this is why I wrote Peasants Come Last. Over five decades Peace Corps somehow became like most other government bureaucracies—huge, bloated, centralized and top-down. The sense in HQ is that the field works for Washington, not the other way around. As a result, highly competent people are hired to run the posts in Peace Corps countries, but they are tied to a string that Washington jangles as it desires. Gone is the local leadership. Gone is the responsiveness to local need. Gone is the passion that once characterized the agency I joined back in 1966.

      Peace Corps is worth saving. But it will not be saved by the heavy-handed tactics it used to suppress the impact of my book. And it will not be saved by feel-good stories of what service was like "back when." The nation, including Congress, needs a hard-headed discussion about the needs of the world, how Peace Corps has changed, and what it needs to be tomorrow. It's a clearly a discussion worth having."

      I suggest that we read Brown's book (I ordered mine from Amazon), and have the "hard-headed" discussion about the future of PC that apparently didn't happen during the 50th anniversary celebrations.