Hearts and Hammers 2010

  • Kyle Gifford
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
    Hearts and Hammers is a community-wide service project with the mission of refurbishing qualified homes owned by low income citizens within the Dallas Metroplex. Each year, the NTPCA sponsors a house, and this year is no different. Our house this year is located at 2627 Lenway, and is owned by Carol Bynum, who retired from Baylor Hospital after many years of service.

    Please mark your calendars for September 18, which is the main project work-day. We'll need painters, carpenters, and handy-people to perform a variety of renovation tasks. No experience is necessary to participate. Also, you can invite friends and family to join as well. If you're interested, please contact Kyle Gifford by email at kgifford@..., phone at 573.864.4706, or at any of the upcoming NTPCA events (including the Happy Hour at Gloria's this Thursday).

    Participants can also order a Hearts and Hammers t-shirt. The deadline to order a shirt is July 31st, so if you want one, you must contact Kyle and let him know what size you want before 7/31. You can pay Kyle at any time. The cost is $15. While this might seem a little steep for a t-shirt, remember the money goes back to Hearts and Hammers to continue this remarkable community project. Pictures of the shirt design are attached.

    If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We hope to see a large turnout for work day on September 18!

    Kyle Gifford
    NTPCA Hearts and Hammers Team Captain
  • Kyle Gifford
    Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 91 KB

    Grab your paintbrushes and get ready for HEARTS AND HAMMERS 2010!  We will once again celebrate our commitment to sharing our skills with others and making the world a better place over two Saturdays, Saturday, September 11th and Saturday, September 18th.

    Our adopted house this year is located at 2627 Lenway in Dallas. The homeowner is Carol Bynum. She worked for Baylor Medical Center for many years, and has helped raise both her children and several others in the community. She is very appreciative for our volunteer assistance.

    We need volunteers for both work days, so I hope that everyone can commit at least a few hours one of the days to come help. If you can attend on either Saturday the 11th or the 18th, please contact Kyle Gifford, our team captain, by email at kgifford@..., or phone at 573.864.4706. Here are the details of the work involved:

    Saturday, September 11th: Preparing the house. This includes scraping paint around the windows, trim, and porch of the house, as well as clearing brush. Work will begin around 9 am and last until 2 pm. Please bring paint scrapers, trimmers, and gloves if you have them.

    Saturday, September 18th: This is the main work day, and we need all the help we can get! We will start bright and early, at 7 am, and work until we are finished (usually 4 pm). The work will include caulking/repairing windows, replacing some doors and foundation screens, and priming and painting the porch and trim of the house. If you have skills in carpentry or painting, we really need you on this day, but every person’s help will be valuable, even if you’ve never worked on a house before.

    What to bring on the 18th: paint brushes, putty knives, ladders, saws, drills/hammers, caulk guns, sunscreen, a hat, and lots of energy. As a reward, there will be free donuts in the morning, a delicious lunch at a local restaurant, and free BBQ dinner at the H&H warehouse at the end of the day.

    Directions:  Take I-35 south to I-30 east to I-45 south, or Hwy 75 south through downtown Dallas to I-45 south. Take exit 283B (towards Martin Luther King Blvd), and merge on to Cesar Chavez Blvd. Turn left at Pennsylvania Ave, right at Myrtle, and take the 3rd right to 2627 Lenway St. Map is attached.

    Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by Dallas Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled Dallas homeowners.  Throughout the year, the H&H Planning Council works with the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep their homes’ exteriors within city code.  H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.