596from the Peace Corps Recruiting Office

    Sep 1, 2006
       (This did not arrive in time for the newsletter earlier this week.  So I am forwarding it now.  Ed)

      Greetings from the Peace Corps Recruiting Office in Dallas

      The 2006 Recruitment Year in Review

      Interest in serving in Peace Corps is running high and the Dallas recruiting team had a very productive year, selecting 500 qualified individuals with the needed skills and experience, to be considered for Peace Corps service in 2006. This has been our best recruiting year ever! We couldn’t have done it without the enthusiastic support of the members of the North Texas Peace Corps Association. Thank you for your help! As you all know, the best recruiter is a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, so please continue to tell people about your experience and encourage people who are interested to check out the wonderful Peace Corps website (www.peacecorps.gov) or attend NTPCA and Peace Corps events to learn more about serving in the Peace Corps!

      The new ONLINE Application

      Probably one of the biggest changes at Peace Corps in the last few years is the introduction of the online application. Yes, the application is still very long and asks endless questions about interests, hobbies and volunteer experience, in addition to the traditional questions about education and work history. And you still have to write a couple of essays. But applicants have told us that applying is so much easier online than it was using the old paper application. So if you know someone who wants to apply, or if you are thinking about re-applying, check out the online application at www.peacecorps.gov/application

      Help us Recruit

      We have a number of recruitment events scheduled in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex this Fall and we welcome RPCVs at these events. The recruitment events are listed below. Please let Megan Burkholder (mburkholder@...) know if you plan to attend one of these events.

      General Information Meetings: RPCVs may be asked to talk for a few minutes about their experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  Photos are encouraged.

      Thursday 9/14 Dallas 6:30-8pm

      Thursday 9/21 Denton 6:30-8pm

      Thursday 10/5  Arlington 6-7:30pm

      Thursday  10/19 Dallas 6:30-8pm

      Thursday, 11/9 Fort Worth 6-7:30pm

      Special Event October 22-25: Water Environment Federation Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) Clean water is still one of the biggest global issues and this is probably the biggest water quality conference in the US. We are looking for local RPCVs who served as Water and Sanitation Volunteers who would be available to help us staff the booth or participate on a panel of RPCVs at the Dallas Convention Center. The conference dates are October 22-25 and the panel is on Monday October 23 at 5:30 P.M.. Contact Megan if you can help us at this convention.

      Calling all Teachers!

       If you know of any teachers who are thinking about retiring, remind them that “Teachers Make a World of Difference” and they can do it in the Peace Corps! It is never too late! There is no age limit on Volunteers and host countries are asking for trained teachers in math, science, English (secondary and University level), teacher trainers and primary school teachers. Spread the word!

      Thanks again for your recruiting help on behalf of Peace Corps. I look forward to seeing you this Fall!

      With warm regards,

      Sharon Sugarek

      Regional Manager

      Peace Corps