456Re: [N Tx Peace Corps] pros and cons

  • kate Vieira
    Aug 25, 2005
      I served in Latvia, 1999-2001, in what some like to call the "Posh Corps." I
      was in an urban site and had running water, electricity, heck, even a 24
      hour grocery store around the corner! The post-soviet 'poshiness' of my site
      didn't impede my happiness at all, but I'm not sure it added to it either. I
      had a fantastic two years, as cheezy at it sounds, simply because of the
      warm relationships I developed with my fun-loving, hard-working, kind, and
      all around AMAZING host country colleagues and friends.
      Kate Vieira

      >From: "Ed Hromatka" <hromatka@...>
      >To: "North Texas RPCVs" <North_Texas_Peace_Corps@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [N Tx Peace Corps] pros and cons
      >Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:59:53 -0500
      >
      >Mike,
      >
      >The level of fulfillment and satisfaction fairly frequently is in reverse
      >proportion to amenities and standard of living. For example, in my
      >experience and by my observations, PC volunteers who do not have
      >electricity (or running water) in Ecuador tended to be more happy than
      >those who did by a noticeable but not huge margin, etc.
      >
      >Other RPCVs: agree or disagree?
      >
      >Ed Hromatka

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic