350Deadline for Thanksgiving Trip to Rio Bravo Mexico

  • hromatka
    Nov 12, 2004
      The Hill Country RPCVs who run "Amigos de las Escuelas" have announced that the LAST DAY to sign-up for this Thanksgiving's  project in Rio Bravo, Mexico is NOVEMBER 23!

      To sign up: go to
      www.datasense.com/Amigos or email jamie@....

      This community service project was begun by the Austin RPCVs after Hurricane Gilbert 16 or 17 years ago and has continued every Thanksgiving Weekend and most spring breaks since then.

      The volunteers work in a small border town about 35 miles southeast of McAllen, Texas.  The work mostly involves to Hearts and Hammers/Habitat for Humanity type work -- or computer skills.  Spanish skills are not required but obviously helpful.  You'll stay an inexpensive Mexican "pension" in a nearly PC-like accommodations.

      (The project is now technically a separate non-profit 501(c)(3) charity that has several RPCVs on its Board;  many of volunteers in recent years are non-RPCVs.)

      There is a change this year:  The Amigos de las Escuelas will be collecting $40 per person by  the Tuesday 23rd cutoff (when there will be a planning meeting in Austin).  The $40 cost will be for the following:

               a)  An "Amigos de las Escuelas" tee-shirt
               b)  Two lunches in Rio Bravo during the 2 work days, plus the final dinner on the last                 night in Mexico to    celebrate a job well done!
               c)  Cost for disposable building materials (such as paint brushes)

      My wife and I have found it to be one of our best Thanksgiving Days ever.
      Ed Hromatka
      972-722-5254