1450Details on this year's Hearts and Hammers project

  • Nc
    Sep 12, 2012

      Grab your paintbrushes, scrapers, ladders and a bundle of energy and get ready for HEARTS AND HAMMERS 2012! We will once again celebrate our commitment to sharing our skills with others and making the world a better place on our workday, Saturday September 22, 2012, 7:30am.

      Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by Dallas RPCV Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled Dallas homeowners. Throughout the year the H&H Planning Council works with the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep their homes' exteriors within city code. H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.

      This year our N. Texas Peace Corps Association house is at 3808 Black Oak, in South Dallas near Paul Quinn College. Our homeowner is Mrs. Ruth Richardson, and she has lived in the house since 1960!

      The work the house needs is straightforward. We will scrape, paint, replace rotted wood, and do some door work. With 20-25 folks we should finish the house in the early afternoon, and if you feel you don't have any technical skills please come because you will learn on the job and have a fulfilling time.

      I'm looking for free lunch for us all-but if not we'll buy it in the neighborhood somewhere. Anyone know any resources for lunch? Will your company/group sponsor our lunch?

      To sign up: Email Brynne Sissom, this year's co-captain, at brynne2k@....

      What to bring: 3 empty gallon plastic jugs, 2 4" paintbrushes, scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages (no beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, LADDERS, hammers, yard tools and lots of elbow grease. If you have any questions please call me.

      Directions: Take Central Expressway (Hwy 75) south toward downtown Dallas, then merge/continue onto I-45, still heading south. About 6 miles south of downtown exit at Simpson Stuart Rd. and go right. In less than a mile go right on Bonnie View Rd., then right again at the third street, Persimmon Rd. Go left at the second block, Bellcrest Dr., then immediately right on Black Oak to the house.

      This is always a fun and worthwhile community service we do, and the smiles and appreciation of the homeowners are the best. See you there!

      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands, 1977-80
      214.357.8337 home; 214-649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...