Re: Newby found a G-R-E-A-T Teacher

  • sisroberts
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
      Selah, I'm so glad you found a teacher you're delighted with and a
      project you're enthusiastic about. Your letter made us all smile---
      and another Happy Hooker joins the ranks! Ruth Ann
    • selah rose
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
        Thanks, Ruth Ann . I know that my fledgling attempts
        must have brought back some similar memories for all
        of you experienced hookers. LOL. then you remember the
        bloom of that young love affair with this art form? I
        think I have a glimpse at what some have described as
        an obsession. I know I have already spent more money
        on supplies than I did in the beginning of my other
        needlecraft hobbies. So I must be crazy or in love.
        Hehehehe.

        Happy Hooking, selah

        --- sisroberts <roberts35@...> wrote:
        > Selah, I'm so glad you found a teacher you're
        > delighted with and a
        > project you're enthusiastic about. Your letter made
        > us all smile---
        > and another Happy Hooker joins the ranks! Ruth Ann
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Martha Reynolds
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
          We need a swap meet so that we can unload the items we
          have purchased that did not fit our needs. Everyone
          has a different style and comfort zone. I think I have
          purchased every frame and cutter made in the last 2
          years. I still am looking for the holy grail. If a new
          frame comes along, I'm still a player if it looks like
          it has a new feature I haven't seen before. Where does
          it end? I would be curious to know who uses
          "what"....and why they like it. Who bought "what" and
          why they didn't like it.
          Martha

          --- selah rose <dollyrose65@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          Thanks, Ruth Ann . I know that my fledgling attempts
          must have brought back some similar memories for all
          of you experienced hookers. LOL. then you remember the
          bloom of that young love affair with this art form? I
          think I have a glimpse at what some have described as
          an obsession. I know I have already spent more money
          on supplies than I did in the beginning of my other
          needlecraft hobbies. So I must be crazy or in love.
          Hehehehe.

          Happy Hooking, selah

          --- sisroberts <roberts35@...> wrote:
          > Selah, I'm so glad you found a teacher you're
          > delighted with and a
          > project you're enthusiastic about. Your letter made
          > us all smile---
          > and another Happy Hooker joins the ranks! Ruth Ann
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try
          it!
          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.
        • Ruth Roberts
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
            But Martha, I'd sooner part with one of my children than my Puritan, Gruber, Hinterberg, several homemade frames or any of my three cutters. Ruth Ann

          • Martha Reynolds
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
              Oh my! Someone after my own heart. The only problem is
              that we are going to have to start selling the
              children and the grandchildren to pay for all the
              wonderful things we find to buy. Every thing that
              comes along looks like it's better than the one before
              and sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. What is a
              Hinterberg? I missed that one. Have you seen the new
              one out of Arkansas that is a convertible stand and
              lap frame all in one? It rotates 360 derees and tilts.
              I have a Puritan frame and a Buzz stand. I love it
              except that it doesn't rotate and I am a rotating
              hooker. (that sounds bad) Have you ever tried the
              swivel adapter that Puritan makes now to let the stand
              move? I think that sounds great but I'm not sure it
              will work with the Buzz stand. Anyone out there got an
              opinion?
              Martha

              --- Ruth Roberts <roberts35@...> wrote:

              Terms of Service.
            • selah rose
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                Oh, Please do let me know if you organize a swap meet
                for rughooking supplies. I still want to buy a frame.
                I think a sit upon, but I want to swivel the fame
                part.

                I bought bent type sissors from Hobby Lobby but they
                are very stiff and hurt the arthritic thumb. When I
                can order the more expensive ones, I will turn loose
                of these. My large hoop purchased from first teacher
                is not working for me, that is also available. I can
                not hold it, and the yarn and the hook at the same
                time. ( Also can not walk and chew gum at the same
                time. LOL )

                Mainly, I am in NEED OF. I might be a very good
                customer. Oh, one of the lap frames that I tried at
                the teachers studio did not have enough arm and hand
                clearance for me -under the frame. The one that I
                leased had twice the length of posts from frame to
                lamp bar. Makes a lot of difference for me. I would
                buy this one, but I am waiting for the swivel feature
                one.

                I am hooking right along on the cottage design of
                Susan Quicksall's (Beginner Class) and just loving
                it. Well, need to get out the tweesers, ( poor girls
                burring iron) and adjust a few ( OK more than that )
                loops. LOL. At the rate I am going, I will finish my
                assignment a week early and call the teacher to let me
                go on or start a simple design of my own to keep
                practicing. The linen weave background and the Millers
                hook has made it more fun than work for me. And I just
                want to do this more than finish some of my other
                projects glaring at me when I dare open the
                craft/sewing room door. No one else has that problem,
                right? I thought so. Grin. Selah

                --- Martha Reynolds <collectivepast@...>

              • tracy_rdh2001
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Martha,

                  That is an excellent idea and question. I prefer my puritan for its
                  gripping but prefer my Gruber for its comfortable height. I
                  oscillate back and forth all the time. I have used a Rigby and a
                  Bliss cutter but prefer the Fraser. The two times I have called the
                  Fraser company with two very stupid questions (in retrospect) they
                  were very patient and courteous. I use a cheapy little coarse-sized
                  Joan Moshimer (I think) hook. I have used the more expensive ones
                  and always go back to it. It is the one that has the short bulbous
                  wooden handle and "sawed off" size 'E' crochet hook stuck in it.
                  What does everyone else use and why?

                  Happy Hooking, Tracy :-)
                • Martha Reynolds
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Tracy,
                    Thank you for all the good information.
                    I hope all the others will throw in their 2 cents.

                    FYI I love my Townsend cutter. It is the best ever. I
                    know they are expensive but so is everything else. For
                    once, I have strips that are nice and even without
                    those funny "Y" ends or cinched waists.
                    I use a hook that I bought from Diane Phillips that I
                    love along with the Hartman hook for primitives.

                    I am almost set. Still looking for the untimate frame.
                    I know I could design the motherlode but I need a
                    builder. I wish I had taken shop in high school.
                    Martha
                  • sisroberts
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2004
                      --- I have the Puritan frame and when I use it, it's as a lap
                      frame because I couldn't seem to get it close enough to my line of
                      vision with the stand without ending up with aching shoulders from
                      bending over --so I sold the stand. I prefer my Gruber which
                      swivels and I made a "sit on extender" that's interchangable with
                      the original base that allows me to have both hands free with my
                      work at a comfortable height and
                      distance.
                      I have three cutters; two are Rigby's and one Fraser and I keep them
                      all loaded (one Rigby holds two cutter blades,) so I can cut with
                      3,4,5 and 6 at will. Height of decadence, isn't it? I probably
                      could have had a Townsend if I had waited but it's not like I bought
                      them all at once--I've probably been hooking eight or nine years and
                      bought them along and the Townsend has just been out a couple of
                      years I think.

                      Tracy-- Jacky was with me when I chose the yarn for my socks today-
                      -nothing exotic but just what I was wanting. I'm hoping to make the
                      Arlington meeting on the 14th, but if I don't , I'll have Jackie
                      make the swap for me. Bring your needles and get started! I can't
                      wait! Ruth Ann
                    • tracy_rdh2001
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2004
                        Ruth Ann,

                        Did you hear the little sqeal of joy coming from your computer? Now
                        I can go dig out my sock patterns :-) I sure was tempted to go get
                        some wool for you since this is perfect sock knitting weather.
                        Tomorrow is supposed to be absolutely "yugly". That is a friend of
                        mine's combo of yucky + ugly. The high tomorrow will be 34 degrees
                        and that will happen at 6 am in the morning the rest of the day it
                        will hover at 32 or below. This weekend is supposed to be bitter
                        cold but no precipitation like the mix of rain, sleet and snow of
                        tomorrow. If I thought I would have time between now and the next
                        time I see you or Jacky, I would have you mail it to me and I would
                        pay the postage. I'm excited :-) What color(s) are they going to
                        be? Talk to you soon. Hugs, Tracy :-)
                      • Ruth Roberts
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
                          Tracy, I had to make a trip to the P. O. this morning anyway and I had a little box saved from on the shelf that the yarn fit in, so maybe it'll reach you in time for you to start knitting the socks this weekend. It's a variagated blue--which will look so smart with my jeans. Old ladies like to look smart too, you know--of course my SAS shoes may blow the whole effect. In some cases it's just not possible to look smart and be comfortable at the same time.

                          Brrrrrr--I need to wrap my hands around a warm cup of coffee--then I'll be ready to pick up my hooking. Ruth Ann