What's gooing on?

  • sisroberts
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
      Have you ever seen such a summer? earthquakes, hurricanes, floods,
      wild fires, triple digit heat: I'm almost afraid to switch on the news
      in the mornings for fear hearing of another blow from Mother Nature.

      Susan--I got this receipt/acknowledgment from the state fair people
      today and need you to translate something for me: RUG-GEOMETRIC'Y CUT
      HND HKNG. We're supposed to bring our entries to the meeting Saturday
      and I don't want to bring the wrong things. I'm still wafflin' over
      just which rugs I should enter in the categories I picked and I'm
      wondering how closely the judges will look at them. I recall Diane
      Stoffel, the teacher, once told me that rugs should be oberved from
      about 5 feet away when deciding on a color suitability. I'm hoping the
      judges will apply the same rules to their judging versus examining them
      closely for flaws. Wishful thinking? Probably. At any rate, I am
      shaking off the dust and clipping tray threads. See you Saturday.
      Ruth Ann
    • Susan Harper
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
        Hey Ruth Ann:

        You only signed up for one category? I just collected them and stuck
        them in the envelope and mailed them so I don't know.

        It sounds like you only entered one...the geometric rug, hand hooking.
        hmmmm.... If that was all that was on the form.

        I remember discussing that a Persian would go in the geometric category.

        I will be at the guild meeting to retrieve entered rugs! I will
        deliver them to the fair next week for everyone.

        Be sure to bring the letter with the rugs. I will return it all.

        Susan
      • ruth ann roberts
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          --- Susan, I did sign up for 3 categories but the main thing I'm confused about  on the form they sent me was the abbreviations  in my  second category "RUG GEOMETRIC 'Y CUT HND HKNG"  I assumed that the HND HKNG meant hand hooking, but aren't all our rugs hand hooked and what does the "Y Cut" mean?  Possibly it was a typo ?

          Oh--and what constitutes a "Persian" rug?  I need to see if any of my rugs fall into that category--  Ruth Ann

        • Susan Harper
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
            Yes, I think the Y means ANY cut. Wide or narrow. Didn't you talk to
            Tammy about a Persian/Oriental or some such? Geometric is any
            repeating shape.

            See you Saturday...
          • sisroberts
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
              I had a wonderful time yesterday at the Texas State Fair and of course
              the highlight of the day was seeing all the wonderful rugs that won
              accolades, plus all the accomplished works in other categories, too.
              The quilts displayed were unbelievable in their versitility of design.
              I'm hoping that next year that our rugs will be so prominent in
              numbers and design that they have to add onto the building to
              accommodate them!

              I wonder if anyone has taken any pictures of their Fair entries; enough
              that I could open a Fair picture album ? If you've yet to go to Fair,
              be sure & take your camera and have someone take a picture of your
              entry, preferably with you beside it. Gayle took a picture of me
              beside one of my (ahem) winning entries but I'll wait to post it till
              some of the other winners say they'll do the same. Ruth Ann