Homepage Rug

  • Tracy
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 2, 2007
      Our homepage rug comes to us from the frame of Ruth Ann.

      Ruth Ann, Where did you get the idea to do this colorful turkey? I see
      him looking out the corner of his eyes at something, anything we should
      know about?

      Happy Hooking, Tracy
    • ruth ann roberts
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 2, 2007
        Tracy, I can't remember where I got the idea or the pattern for the
        wacky turkey. Rest assurred it was not my original idea. Surely I
        must have seen one like it at one of our rug shows and couldn't rest
        till I had produced one similar. I love the rug on the home page of
        the Heartland Hookers of the pumpkin and the basket--it's different
        from the usual pumpkin patterns we see this time of year. Ruth Ann

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Janie Staples

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
            The January homepage rug is from Melody.

            Melody,
            What can you tell us about your sweet little mat?

            Has anyone made any hooking resolutions?

            Happy Hooking in the New Year, Tracy
          • judithlester3pennydesigns@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
              >From: Tracy <tracy_rdh2001@...>
              >Date: 2008/01/01 Tue PM 05:43:18 CST
              >To: NorthTexasRugHookers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [NorthTexasRugHookers] Homepage Rug

              I resolve to add more fiber (in the form of wool) to my days.
              So satisfying, no-fat, stress-reducer. Healthier than chocolate :o)
              Judith

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                Judith,
                Gotta keep the chocolate. My resolution is to "dye" more wool and
                not "buy" more wool. After the last wool sale, I had to STUFF wool
                into nooks and crannies in my glass china cabinet. There is room in
                the barrister's bookcase for more hand dyed wool so that is what must
                happen. In fact, right now I am having more fun dyeing than hooking.

                Anyone else with a hooking resolution?

                Happy Hooking, Tracy
              • Janie Staples
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Tracy,
                  I am going to finish 1 project before starting a new one.

                  Janie Staples

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                    I don't want to hear any more about chocolate. Every time I'm reminded
                    of chocolate, I head for my stash of Dove chocolates hidden in my wool
                    storage chest. It's not a very secure hidding place, obviously,
                    because even my youngest grandchildren know where the Doves are, but
                    fortuntely, they always ask permission. Having revealed my hiding
                    place and knowing your chocolate addition, I'll have a new hiding place
                    before you come out again, Tracy--

                    Judith, even though we're discouraged from advertising on this web
                    site, I would be interested to know if your shop is on the main
                    thoroughfare in San Angelo. D.H. and I often motor down that way and
                    he might even stop if I can claim it's "right on the way."

                    I've decided not to make any New Year resolutions, at least about wool
                    and patterns (or chocolate) even though everybody knows that wool and
                    patterns multiply on their own.

                    Having seen Melody's homepage mat in person, it's obvious that she's
                    got that rare talent of combining colors that make you stop and take a
                    second look--and wish you were so blessed. Ruth Ann
                  • Melody Lundquist
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Ohh...I can't take the credit on that set of colors on the Anaheim Star.
                      That was a Gene Sheppard doing.
                      But...my Susan Quicksall pattern I bought for the purse is getting that
                      Bohemian feel these days.

                      Even though my surroundings lend themselves to the more mid-range of
                      colors...I find that I really enjoy hooking with colors that yell "Look
                      at Me". It is making for a quite a fancy worm bin. Ahh the worm
                      bin...something I have always wanted. Opening up a "rainbow in a box"
                      and choosing just the right one that will give your piece that "spark".
                      OK-- well-- all my pieces don't look like that, but I'm a work in
                      progress. When you don't know all of the "rules"...you can make it up as
                      you go.

                      And there is Tracy's "Technicolor" filled barrister case....just to set
                      back and look thru the glass at the possibilities. What was sky...is now
                      ocean....what was a flower in full bloom...is now the Golden Gate
                      Bridge...the options are limitless! Now if I just had the time....

                    • Tracy Rdh
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Judith,
                        If your shop has a web address I would love to put it in our "Links".

                        Happy Hooking, Tracy

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                          >From: sisroberts <sisroberts@...>
                          >Date: 2008/01/03 Thu AM 10:46:17 CST
                          >To: NorthTexasRugHookers@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [NorthTexasRugHookers] Re: Homepage Rug & chocolate

                          Dear Sis,
                          Suggest to Taco Bell to D.H. Look behind it at 3436 Sherwood Way in San Angelo, and you will see my little cottage next to Wit's End. Beauregard, running through town, merges with Sherwood Way, heading west. Best to call ahead 325 226-5647, as my hours are flexible. Looking forward to meeting you.
                          Blessings,
                          Judith

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                            >From: Tracy Rdh <tracy_rdh2001@...>
                            >Date: 2008/01/03 Thu PM 12:48:51 CST
                            >To: NorthTexasRugHookers@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [NorthTexasRugHookers] Re: Homepage Rug & chocolate

                            Dear Tracy,
                            A web-site is high on my 2008 list of resolutions. Thanks for asking, which also inspires me to move forward. My address is: Studio Too, 3436 Sherwood Way, San Angelo, TX 76901, cell: 325 226-5647. Home phone: 325 944-897, please leave message on machine with Groucho.

                            I do not want to violate or do anything inappropriate regarding conditions of the group, so please advise.

                            If you deem appropriate, my most recent article appears in the Jan. issue of The Wool Street Journal, for which I have been writing during the last year. I am so honored to be considered a regular writer. I have also been asked to participate in the San Angelo Writers' Book Festival in April, where I will be signing my published books. As a retired, often tired, teacher, I am renewed whenever I see my name in print, hoping that it will inspire others.
                            Blessings during the 4th day of the New Year,
                            Judith

                            >Judith,
                            > If your shop has a web address I would love to put it in our "Links".
                            >
                            > Happy Hooking, Tracy

                          • Tracy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                              Judith,
                              I put your business address in the "Files" until you get a web page
                              address then we can put it in "Links".

                              I will be giving your question on advertising advisement some more
                              thought and get back with you soon. I do appreciate you being so
                              considerate. I look forward to seeing your work.

                              Happy Hooking, Tracy
                            • judithlester3pennydesigns@verizon.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 5, 2008
                                Dear Tracy,

                                Thank you for your consideration. I have an appointment with the SBDC at ASU on Monday to begin my adventure of building a website. Am perusing the groups links and drooling at the same time (multi-tasking). I want to do it ALL! and NOW!
                                I moved from Arlington 3 1/2 years ago and think I know some of the ladies in the group, as I also worked and played at Lone Star House of Quilts. I miss my friends but do love living in San Angelo.
                                Thanks for your encouragement.
                                Blessings, Judith

                                >Judith,
                                >I put your business address in the "Files" until you get a web page
                                >address then we can put it in "Links".
                                >
                                >I will be giving your question on advertising advisement some more
                                >thought and get back with you soon. I do appreciate you being so
                                >considerate. I look forward to seeing your work.
                                >
                                >Happy Hooking, Tracy

                              • Tracy
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  This month's homepage rug comes to us from Martha.

                                  Martha,
                                  Where did you get the pattern or did you design it yourself? I've seen
                                  something similar done in green hearts that looks really rustic. What
                                  are the dimensions? Thank you for sending it to be posted.

                                  Happy Hooking, Tracy
                                • Martha Reynolds
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    Tracy,
                                    This is the Maple Sugar Hearts pattern from Barb
                                    Carroll. She leaves one section blank for you to put
                                    in whatever you want. I chose to draw a house in my
                                    square. The size is 12" x 28".Thanks for the post.
                                    Martha
                                    --- Tracy <tracy_rdh2001@...> wrote:

                                    > This month's homepage rug comes to us from Martha.
                                    >
                                    > Martha,
                                    > Where did you get the pattern or did you design it
                                    > yourself? I've seen
                                    > something similar done in green hearts that looks
                                    > really rustic. What
                                    > are the dimensions? Thank you for sending it to be
                                    > posted.
                                    >
                                    > Happy Hooking, Tracy

                                  • Tracy
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 5, 2008
                                      March's homepage rug is from Ruth Ann. It is called "Chilcotte".

                                      Ruth Ann,
                                      What did you find out about where the rug got it's name?

                                      Happy Hooking, Tracy
                                    • sisroberts
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 6, 2008
                                        It was fun seeing my rug pictured on the homepage. It served to
                                        remind me that I need to pull it out of the closet and display it in
                                        front of the hearth--it's got enough green in it to remind me that
                                        St. Patrick's Day is coming up this month!

                                        The only reference I ever found to the name of "Chilcott" was in a
                                        Pearl McGown book where she cited Lillian Chilcott as being famous
                                        for her discerning taste in collecting antique rugs. I assume she
                                        designed some too, as I've seen other rug patterns with "Chilcott"
                                        in the title. I can't remember where I got the pattern--only that
                                        that I knew it was old when I got it and I had it several years
                                        before I started it. I wonder if anyone sells the pattern now--
                                        anybody out there know?

                                        These wintry days certainly are ideal for rughooking, aren't they?
                                        I'm watching the temperature closely to see if the pear and wild
                                        plum trees in bloom out my window are going to get nipped back . I
                                        don't know why I should care--like I can eat or give away all the
                                        plum jelly I made last year! I finally resorted to freezing the
                                        excess plum puree in ice trays and making smoothies with them . I
                                        think I have enough for one more smoothie--- Ruth Ann
                                      • Tracy
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 21, 2008
                                          Our homepage rug has been hooked by Ginger. Ginger is a relatively new
                                          rughooker but you wouldn't know it by how many rugs/pieces she has
                                          hooked AND finished.

                                          Ginger finally got a chance to see a dye demonstration at Glen Rose
                                          this last January. There has been no stopping her.

                                          Ginger,
                                          What can you tell us about your 3 sweet little chicks? Was this piece
                                          finished before you started dyeing?

                                          Hope everyone has a Happy Easter! Tracy
                                        • Ginger Smith
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 23, 2008
                                            Image my surprise to open the webpage and see my little chicks
                                            pictured. This is my second project finished. I bought the kit on
                                            line just because the fact that I love chickens and the chicks were to
                                            cute not to pass up. It hooked up in just a few nights.

                                            I see that Tracy has been busy posting other pictures too. I see the
                                            basket of wool I dyed last month for a future project. I couldn't have
                                            done it without the wonderful teaching of Tracy. She spent a day
                                            teaching me to dye while we were in Glen Rose in January. Because of
                                            her, I have a bad case of the dye bug. But I'm having a ball. Thank
                                            you, Tracy. Couldn't have done it without you.

                                            Ginger

                                            Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter.

                                            --- In NorthTexasRugHookers@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy"

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 23, 2008
                                              Ginger,
                                              Please tell us if your feet have started touching the ground yet now
                                              that you are back from the Texas Yellow Rose Camp. Wasn't this your
                                              first camp EVER?! Who was your teacher, what were you learning, etc?

                                              I know that several of our members here attended and in fact some
                                              actually put on the camp. I'm ready and waiting to live vicariously,
                                              Girls! If you all have two minutes to put together, let me know and I
                                              would love to post your edited/unedited pictures; just forward them to
                                              me and I will do the rest.

                                              Happy Hooking, Tracy
                                            • Ginger Smith
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 25, 2008
                                                Can I tell you all that I had the best time at Texas Yellow Rose Camp.
                                                It was the first time that I have even taken a rug hooking class. Bea
                                                Brook was a wonderful teacher, and I learned so very much from her
                                                class.
                                                The facility was great, and the food was even better. The pounds that
                                                we all gained. But, the part I enjoyed was meeting all the ladies that
                                                know so much about this hobby. So many of them were working on grand
                                                rugs that you only hope to make someday. The ladies did a wonderful
                                                job planning this camp and my hat is off to Janie, Martha, and Susan.
                                                All I can say is that I can't wait to go next year.

                                                Ginger

                                                <tracy_rdh2001@...> wrote:

                                                > Ginger,
                                                > Please tell us if your feet have started touching the ground yet now
                                                > that you are back from the Texas Yellow Rose Camp. Wasn't this your
                                                > first camp EVER?! Who was your teacher, what were you learning, etc?
                                                >
                                                > I know that several of our members here attended and in fact some
                                                > actually put on the camp. I'm ready and waiting to live vicariously,
                                                > Girls! If you all have two minutes to put together, let me know and
                                                > would love to post your edited/unedited pictures; just forward them
                                                > me and I will do the rest.
                                                >
                                                > Happy Hooking, Tracy

                                              • sisroberts
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 25, 2008
                                                  ---Ginger, I recall my first rug camp some 10 or 12 years ago, and
                                                  thinking: what can this teacher possibly teach me? After all, I've had
                                                  a couple basic lessons and anybody can pull a loop through burlap after
                                                  a few tries. The main thing I learned that week was that there's always
                                                  something else to learn and fortunately there's always somebody out
                                                  there to show you how. My teacher, Abby Vakay, at Yellow Rose
                                                  encouraged us to "think out of the box" and not be encumbered by all
                                                  the traditional methods and materials we're so used to. She threw all
                                                  sorts of materials out of the table to incorporate in our hooking: t
                                                  shirts, sweaters, ribbons, silk, yarn, beads, etc. as well as
                                                  exotically dyed wools. Admittedly, most of the projects made with
                                                  these materials will never be stepped on, but there is a place for them
                                                  in other projects such as pillows, wall hangings, handbags, stools,
                                                  etc. She also demonstrated dyeing, proddy, felting and some other
                                                  things I had never seen done before but may be brave enough to try
                                                  somewhere down the road. Ruth Ann