What are your thoughts on Mom's school?

  • Josh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2008
      Hi all!
      I hope your summer is getting off to a great start. Ours is okay,
      considering Ben's broken arms. But all in all, not too bad. Josh and
      I celebrated our 11th anniversary last week, and we able to enjoy a
      night at Green Valley Ranch Station while the kids stayed with
      grandma. Pretty nice!

      This week I am finally getting some time to think about plans for my
      homeschooling for the fall. Now that we have our first "trial" year
      under our belts, I am trying to decide what our focus will be.
      Obviously, TJEd will shape whatever I do, but there are many other
      things to think about.

      I'm sure you're all wondering what that has to do with you? Sorry, I
      ramble sometimes. :) I wanted to know you thoughts on the Mom's
      school and it's role in our commonwealth. Now that we've all muddled
      through the first year; What did you like? What didn't you like? What
      about your kids? What would you like next year to look like?

      I would love to see a dialog started. Where ever my kids and I spend
      our time, I want it to be worthwhile. I am really excited to plan
      my "Freedom Tribe" club/class. My plan and goal is to expose my kids
      to other cultures and tribes. I want them to know they can learn from
      those who are different from us. I want them to have fun with other
      kids their age--making a sand painting, a real lei, or a clay pot. I
      want them to learn about ancient Egyptian math, listen to tribal
      music, and taste a Chinese delicacy.

      But I also want kids in the club who want to be there, who want to
      participate and join in, and who are not just there to kill time
      while their older brothers and sisters are learning. It hurts those
      who want to learn when others are joking around or creating noise and
      not paying attention. I want to create a club that inspires them to
      want to learn, not a school setting, and I don't want to become a
      babysitter either. But I know those of us with older children in the
      scholar classes, who are helping to teach there, need somewhere for
      the younger ones to be. In a few years, I will be in that some boat.
      I want to help create the best solution. So what is the answer? What
      is the balance that I seek? I'm not sure yet. That's where you come
      in.

      Now that I've shared some of my thoughts, what are yours? I want to
      create a good place for the younger children to be inspired, learn
      and enjoy each other's company, and then not create a burden for the
      parents who choose to be with them. Please share how you feel. I know
      we just finished the year, but I'm a gold personality… (sorry, we
      just had a personality test at our last enrichment night:)) …What I
      means is, I like to be organized and prepared. I want the fall school
      year to start out well. And planning now will help the next year be
      that much more fun.

      Thanks to anyone who is willing to share!
      --Angela
    • Irene Hauver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2008
        Angela,  I appreciate your thoughts about what you want to do for next year.  I too am excited for another year.  I feel our past year was very successfull-especially because my kids enjoyed it so much.  As far as getting kids in your class that really want to be there, the thing that worked for us last year was to give the kids the option of playing quietly in another area of the classroom if they did not want to participate in the class that hour.  This helped separate those who really wanted to learn and those who just wanted to play for a while.  Often, the kids that opted not to join the class saw all the fun the other kids were having and joined in next time.  I like your ideas and hope we can all join in the fun learning experiences of another great year.  I am excited to teach another course of I Love America.  Irene