Re: [NorCalSBay] Get the word out! The Festival of Cultures & Annual Gathering, Jan 26 Palo Alto

  • Catherine Hung
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
      NOTE - My understanding of our history is that:
      The AGM-Conference in the South Bay has been held over 20+ years ago when
      South Bay Melvia Wong was the then long-term serving NorCal Treasurer and
      other active South Bay RPCVs, like her brother, Kendall Mau, Harry Smith?
      Val? Kinney? Peter Ross and others, put on the Most Profitable-ever for
      NorCal South Bay conference. That $$ legacy has been wisely invested!

      So, continuing on with new RPCV energy, talent and time....
      best wishes to all for a Happy Healthy new 2013,
      cat =catherinehung, rpcv chuuk micronesia

    • kendall@kendallmau.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
        Catherine,

        In the late 80's and early 90's we used to hold the annual meetings at a church rec room in Redwood City and once in Palo Alto at the Baptist church on California Ave.

        I also remember several annual meetings down in Cupertino and Redwood Shores/Foster City.

        Kendall Mau

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
          Catherine,

          I also recall that the bulk of our investment funds originated from 2 events: 1) t-shirt sales at the DC conference to celebrate the 25th anniversary of PC, about $14k; and 2) about $10K we earned from hosting the natl conference at UC Berkeley in the early 90's.

          As treasurer at that time, I earmarked the money for an endowment fund - a move that was not popular with the whole board. I wanted to secure some longevity for NorCal. Some on the board thought it was hoarding and that the money should have been donated to needy projects. At any rate, it has yielded some positive benefits over the years.

          Regards,