Get the word out! The Festival of Cultures & Annual Gathering, Jan 26 Palo Alto

  • NorCal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
      South Bay Folks

      This is the first time that NorCal has selected a SB location for its annual meeting. We have combined it with an exciting Festival of Cultures to give RPCVs a forum to educate our communities about Peace Corps service and the countries we served. We also have an exciting dinner planned with Brett Beach of Madagasse Chocolates providing a chocolate tasting and presentation on how his service in Madagascar developed into an international chocolate business that works to ensure that more of the wealth stays in the country of origin through ethical cocoa sourcing and the production of chocolate. This will be popular and we only have enough room for 150 people so you must reserve a spot at Brown Paper Tickets ($23 members, $30 nonmembers) http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/312269

      If you would like to volunteer for the Festival sign up here. You'll also get a discount on the dinner as a volunteer.
      http://norcalpca.org/content.cfm?id_con=140

      Help us get the word out about the Festival. Download and post these fliers at schools, Stanford, YMCA, Church and where ever you know people are interested in learning more about the world!

      8.5 x 11" Handout
      http://norcalpca.org/Library/2013 Festival of Cultures Flier Letter size.pdf

      4.25 x 5.5" Handouts (sheet of 4)
      http://norcalpca.org/Library/2013 Festival of Cultures Handouts.pdf
    • Catherine Hung
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
        NOTE - My understanding of our history is that:
        The AGM-Conference in the South Bay has been held over 20+ years ago when
        South Bay Melvia Wong was the then long-term serving NorCal Treasurer and
        other active South Bay RPCVs, like her brother, Kendall Mau, Harry Smith?
        Val? Kinney? Peter Ross and others, put on the Most Profitable-ever for
        NorCal South Bay conference. That $$ legacy has been wisely invested!

        So, continuing on with new RPCV energy, talent and time....
        best wishes to all for a Happy Healthy new 2013,
        cat =catherinehung, rpcv chuuk micronesia

      • kendall@kendallmau.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
          Catherine,

          In the late 80's and early 90's we used to hold the annual meetings at a church rec room in Redwood City and once in Palo Alto at the Baptist church on California Ave.

          I also remember several annual meetings down in Cupertino and Redwood Shores/Foster City.

          Kendall Mau

          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
            Catherine,

            I also recall that the bulk of our investment funds originated from 2 events: 1) t-shirt sales at the DC conference to celebrate the 25th anniversary of PC, about $14k; and 2) about $10K we earned from hosting the natl conference at UC Berkeley in the early 90's.

            As treasurer at that time, I earmarked the money for an endowment fund - a move that was not popular with the whole board. I wanted to secure some longevity for NorCal. Some on the board thought it was hoarding and that the money should have been donated to needy projects. At any rate, it has yielded some positive benefits over the years.

            Regards,