Kate Puzey Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act

  • Julia Becker
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      Fellow RPCVs,
      If you are participating in today's "Day of Action", I urge you to thank
      your Representatives and Senators for unanimously passing the Kate Puzey
      Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act. This rare piece of bipartisan
      legislation was far too long in coming, and the fact that I just found out
      about it today (and not from the Peace Corps) says a lot about the Peace
      Corps's continuing attempts to sweep violence against PCVs under the rug.

      A PCV was murdered by another PCV in 1976 in Tonga, where I later served.
      No one in country ever mentioned this to us, and I only found out about it
      a few years ago at NorCal's annual picnic. A volunteer in my cohort in
      Tonga was raped by a Tongan man. After serving a few weeks in jail, he was
      further traumatizing the PCV by writing her letters about their
      "relationship." As far as I know, the Peace Corps did nothing to protect
      her from this continuing violation.

      Please take a moment to thank your Congress critters for doing at least one
      good deed last fall, and please forward this email to any RPCVs/friends who
      might like to do the same. I hope this law accomplishes its aims and makes
      Peace Corps service a safer experience.

      Julie
      Tonga '89-'91