Feb. 29 event at Santa Clara University - Living in Truth: Honoring the Life and Work of Vaclav Havel

  • Steven Saum
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15 8:27 PM
      Hello fellow RPCV's --

      I'm helping host an event at Santa Clara University on Feb. 29 that might be of interest to fellow volunteers -- or folks interested in drama, human rights -- and, as Vaclav Havel put it, living in truth.

      The event takes place in the black box theatre on campus, so seating is limited; RSVP using the event form if you'd like to reserve a seat.

      Steven Saum
      Ukraine '94-'96
      (with a couple years in the Czech Republic after that)

      LIVING IN TRUTH

      honoring the life and work of

      VACLAV HAVEL

      playwright - dissident - president

      7 p.m., Feb. 29
      Fess Parker Studio Theatre

      LIMITED SEATING - reservations suggested

      As writer and political leader, Václav Havel advocated using truth and love to
      combat oppression. He went from being a dissident in prison to negotiating the end
      of communism in Czechoslovakia in the Velvet Revolution. He served as
      president of Czechoslovakia and later the Czech Republic. Though he died in
      December 2011, his work and legacy continue to inspire.

      _____________________________________

      COME TO WITNESS. AND LAUGH.
      Stage readings of Havel's plays The Memorandum,
      the absurd drama that catapulted him to fame, and Leaving,
      his last work, about a president exiting the political stage.
      Directed by Sara Capule '08.

      COME TO LEARN. AND REFLECT.
      Remarks by Professor of Political Science Jane L. Curry,
      author of six books on Central and East European Politics,
and Steven Boyd Saum, editor Santa Clara Magazine.

      COME TO ASK. AND COME AWAY INSPIRED.
      Markkula Center for Applied Ethics
      Department of Theatre and Dance
      Department of Political Science
      Commonwealth Club Silicon Valley
      Honorary Consulate General of the Czech Republic in San Francisco / Silicon Valley

      Steven Boyd Saum
      Editor, Santa Clara Magazine
      ssaum@...
      (408) 551-1840