Re: Potluck (optional)

  • Julia Becker
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2011
      I am always happy to cook, and I could be persuaded to lead other people
      who are cooking. I am not clear from the context what the event is though.
      Is this the AGM on Jan. 28th? Some other potluck? And why the West African
      theme?

      Tongan food is barely edible (canned corned mutton is even worse than it
      sounds!) but I had fun learning a new dish (kuku I think) from last year's
      Persian theme. I also learned some great recipes for Sri Lankan curries
      from a friend in grad school.

      I vaguely remember seeing a recipe online I think was West African for
      chicken in peanut sauce. I could make that, or I'm sure I could find
      recipes online to make favorites that volunteers who served in that region
      remember fondly. I'm also happy to do some communal cooking in the late
      afternoon and to help plan a menu that includes a variety of popular
      regional dishes. I had a housemate who served somewhere in the region who
      made a tasty dish of greens in palm oil he served with Cream of Wheat as
      the closest approximation to fufu.

      OK, I just Googled fufu and found a ton of recipes for West African dishes
      and now I'm very excited about making them! I could pick my favorite and
      bring it pot luck or make a bunch of them with other cooks.

      One thing I'm not likely to do is get to Berkeley by noon. Nine hours of
      socializing is too much for an introvert like me and also the travel time
      is long and I need my vegging out time on Saturday morning.

      Also, I would be happy to participate/plan other themed potlucks or
      communal cooking activities, although I cannot host b/c my apartment is
      tiny and my kitchen nonexistent.

      Julie
      Tonga 89-91

    • Cat
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2011
        Superduper !!! Yay!!! Agm has a special speaker from the 1st pcvs in
        Ghana. Lucy met at the DC 50th Ghana embassy.

        Yeah I read lucys full email (scroll down to end) the other nite.
        We RPCVs r from everywhere! U-Julie & me pacific island to Asian-
        styled foods. I'm thinking coconut maybe curry myself to chinese as
        china did accept peacecorps; plantains?... Keeping budget in mind &
        qty, an openpotluck +some main dish subsidized with African dishes as
        features may be easiest. ?north Africa -?include morocco? Eithiopia?
        food is yummy.

        Hope Emmy & Paul can come with their ?Somalia (is that right? Sorry!
        Elephants memory here) specialty!! That Dish was outta-sight for
        Steven Saum's dinner talk at their place earlier this year, or was it
        last yr --nov'10!! already?!!! And thx Julie again for 'sponsoring'
        our Russian snacks for that steve's ukraine talk! Herring was tasty :)
        Michael usually brings something tanzanian -the rice-cinnamon-meat
        stew pot. :D
        I suggest coordinating by 'bring your fav dish or ...' something like:
        > A-H: . Main dishes
        >
        > I-S: salads & sides
        > T-Z: Desserts

        Best,

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2011
          Yay! If I get to count Asian islands as part of the "region" I
          served in, then I am definitely bringing a Sri Lankan coconut
          curry. I think I'll bring this egg curry, since it is super yummy
          and novel enough to seem exotic to even to people used to Indian
          curries.
          http://paradisaya.tripod.com/recipes/eggcu.html

          This recipe looks promising if we want to make a Ground Nut Stew:
          http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/african_chicken_peanut_stew/

          Julie

          &

          <[6]cspargur87@...>

          <[12]cspargur87@...>

          <[15]NorCalPCABoard@yahoogroups">NorCalPCABoard@yahoogroups.com>

          <[16]cspargur87@...>

          Start a

          References

          1. mailto:juliabckr%40gmail.com
          2. mailto:cathung%40gmail.com
          3. mailto:cathung%40gmail.com
          4. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          5. mailto:lucyweiger%40yahoo.com
          6. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          7. mailto:lucyweiger%40yahoo.com
          8. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          9. mailto:cathung%40gmail.com
          10. mailto:lucyweiger%40yahoo.com
          11. mailto:cathung%40gmail.com
          12. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          13. mailto:cathung%40gmail.com
          14. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          15. mailto:NorCalPCABoard%40yahoogroups.com
          16. mailto:cspargur87%40gmail.com
          17. mailto:cathung@...?subject=Re%3A%20Potluck%20%28optional%29
          18. mailto:NorCalSBay@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Potluck%20%28optional%29
          23. http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15oprvbqp/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1707507670:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1324424191/L=aea6969a-2b52-11e1-bf2b-6f65385487c4/B=0rqWMkoGYnE-/J=1324416991598320/K=fw2gQ5FP.PRJwTdCxPcIyw/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj
          25. mailto:NorCalSBay-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
          26. mailto:NorCalSBay-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
          28. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          wherever you are

        • Cat
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2011
            Hi Lucy et al,
            1st let's offline this thread now. Anyone-everyone welcome to join
            'food/agm committee,' just let us know.

            2-drinks -I/we can byob & buy basics ~$150. Those who don't cook can
            bring a bottle. Or donate $ as we did at the picnic.
            3- I've a rice cooker & access to 2 more. 4pm is reasonable. I'm gonna
            haveto choose between this & my pttime job where I can cook.

            Re: name tags - we've 3packs from last time. My friend-visitor to the
            AGM picked up for me. I still need to do reimbursements.

            Best,

            Sent from my iPhone