Any RPCV's interested in this short-term position in Ukraine?
- Fulbright Specialist Opportunity:
Short-term Training/Consultation on Clinical Breast Exams in Ukraine
The Susan G. Komen for the Cures Global Initiative for Breast Cancer Awareness has worked since 2007 to create a dynamic global network of dedicated activists with the skills, knowledge and vision to play a strategic role in shaping their countries' response to breast cancer in Ukraine and nine other countries (more at www.komen.org/global). Participants in the Global Initiative have completed capacity-building trainings based on Komen for the Cure's expertise, as well as a community assessment of breast health needs in their local communities. Komen has partnered with the Fulbright Specialist Program to address some of the specific needs identified in Ukraine. The Fulbright Specialist Program promotes linkages between U.S. academics and
professionals and their counterparts at universities abroad. The program awards grants to qualified U.S. faculty and professionals, in select disciplines, to engage in short-term collaborative projects
at higher education institutions in over 100 countries worldwide (more at http://www.cies.org/specialists/).
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
One of the main gaps negatively affecting breast health in our target communities in Ukraine is the low level of qualification of the medical staff who provide women with clinical breast examination. Therefore, this Fulbright Specialist, once selected, will develop curriculum and teach 9 to 12 one-day trainings (approx. 20 persons each) across the country on clinical breast examination (CBE) for residents of national medical universities and medical personnel who are responsible for providing such services to women: OB/GYNs working at maternity centers, regional midwifes, and family doctors. Trainings will take place at universities in Kyiv at Bogomolets National Medical University; Lviv at Danylo Galytsky Lviv National Medical University; and Odesa at Odesa State Medical University. In addition, the Specialist will advise the
heads of these universities regarding long-term curriculum change and skills-building for their students and doctors on CBE.
The duration of the in-country portion of this project is approximately 22 consecutive days in early 2010, at the mutual convenience of the Specialist and host universities. The Specialist will also be expected to prepare items described below in advance of travel, and may maintain optional contact with the universities afterwards. Logistics, including selecting participants and arranging trainings, will be handled by
Global Initiative staff.
1) Design and conduct at least 9 one-day trainings (three trainings in each city: Kyiv, Lviv and Odesa) on clinical breast examination for medical personnel and students, reaching approximately 170 persons;
2) Improve knowledge and skill of trainees on CBE, patient communication, and monitoring screening & follow-up (incorporate pre- and post-tests or other feedback and evaluation tools into training);
3) Train approx. 10 lecturers of the medical universities on correct techniques, procedures, and skills, and how to teach this to students an professionals themselves in the future;
4) Prepare recommendations to the heads of medical universities in each city regarding long-term curriculum change and skills-building for their students and doctors on CBE;
5) Attend one meeting in each city with Global Initiative participants (up to 20 people) to discuss issues associated with CBE in Ukraine and the US, sharing successful case studies in organizing screening programs in the US and answering questions about CBE.
Expert knowledge and training experience in Clinical Breast Exam technique;
Must be fluent in Russian and/or Ukrainian; functional knowledge of both preferred;
Experience developing and evaluating curriculum;
Current citizen of the United States and meets other Fulbright Specialist Eligibility requirements;
TO APPLY: Please contact Kira Mills at KMills@.... More information about the application can be found at: http://www.cies.org/specialists/ss_application.htm.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
The Global Initiative is designed and managed by the Institute of International Education (IIE) West Coast Center in San Francisco http://www.iiesf.org and funded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure, www.komen.org
The Fulbright Specialists Program is a program of the United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, administered by the Institute Of International Education