Dr. Ismail Serageldin lectures at Stanford on December 2

  • Jayne Booker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2009
      Fellow RPCVs:

      I invite you to join me next week at Stanford for two lectures by Dr. Ismail
      Serageldin from the New Library of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt.. I have
      met Dr. Serageldin and heard him speak a number of times. He is an extremely
      senior international development professional with vast and diverse
      experience. I had occasion to visit the New Library of Alexandria last May
      and it is an extraordinary place.

      This is a rare opportunity and I wanted to forward it to our Peace Corps
      community. Please feel free to forward to others.

      I will be attending both lectures and hope you can join me..

      To see the original invitation, please go to:
      http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/260487/392cd57940/TESTTEST
      University Librarian Michael A. Keller
      cordially invites you to an event in honor of

      *Dr. Ismail Serageldin
      *
      *Director of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina**

      *�

      Dr. Serageldin will give two talks on
      Wednesday, December 2, 2009

      *The New Library of Alexandria: A Beacon of Knowledge*
      at 2:00 pm

      *For a Better Dialog Between the West and Muslims*
      at 4:30 pm

      Dinkelspiel Auditorium
      Stanford University
      (map<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?StanfordUniversity/392cd57940/{LIST_DATA_HASH}/57615ae890/f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=DINKELSPIEL+AUDITORIUM,+stanford,+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.891082,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=DINKELSPIEL+AUDITORIUM,&hnear=Stanford,+CA&z=16&iwloc=A>
      )

      Refreshments will be provided after the second lecture

      Please respond by November 25 if you would like to attend
      sonialee@..., 650-736-9538

      *Ismail Serageldin*, Director, New Library of Alexandria, also chairs the
      Boards of Directors for each of the its affiliated research institutes and
      museums. He serves as Chair and Member of a number of advisory committees
      for academic, research, scientific and international institutions and civil
      society efforts which includes the Institut d'Egypte (Egyptian Academy of
      Science), TWAS (Third World Academy for Sciences), the Indian National
      Academy of Agricultural Sciences and the European Academy of Sciences and
      Arts. He is former Chairman, Consultative Group on International
      Agricultural Research (CGIAR, 1994-2000), Founder and former Chairman, the
      Global Water Partnership (GWP, 1996-2000) and the Consultative Group to
      Assist the Poorest (CGAP), a microfinance program (1995-2000).

      Serageldin also served in a number of senior level positions at the World
      Bank, including as Vice President for Environmentally and Socially
      Sustainable Development (1992-1998), and for Special Programs (1998-2000).

      Serageldin has published over 60 books and monographs and over 200 papers on
      a variety of topics including biotechnology, rural development,
      sustainability, and the value of science to society. He holds a Bachelor of
      Science degree in engineering from Cairo University and Master's degree and
      a PhD from Harvard University and has received 25 honorary doctorates.

      --

      Jayne Booker
      c. (650) 814 6643