Please call our Senators before 7/9

  • NorCalPCA
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2009
      NorCal
      This is being resent to the NorCal listservs since the date for the Senate committee vote is now set for July 9. Please contact Senators Feinstein and Boxer as per the notice below.
      Hello Fellow Peace Corps Supporters:

      The House of Representatives passed a $450 million Peace Corps budget for FY 2010, thanks to incredible grassroots advocacy efforts, many of them right here in CA. The action has now moved to the Senate. We have learned that the Senate subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations will take up the issue of Peace Corps funding. We need you to take actionto ensure that Peace Corps gets the resources to be bigger, better and bolder. With your help, with just one phone call and email, you can help launch a new era for the Peace Corps and be part of this historic funding level.

      The important Senate Subcommittee meeting will now be on July 9th.

      Please call your CA Senators with the following message:

      As a California citizen who believes in the importance of the Peace Corps, I urge you to join your colleagues from the House by supporting a $450 million Peace Corps appropriation in FY 2010.

      Please also send a letter or email your personal. variation on the sample below in support of the $450 million funding level.

      Contacts are:

      Dianne Feinstein (415) 393-0707
      email form is on her website: www.feinstein.senate.gov

      Barbara Boxer (415) 403-0100
      email form is on her website: www.boxer.senate.gov

      Thank you! for taking action -

      Please forward to others whom you think would take action AND if you can, please send us a note to let us know what you have done so we can keep a tally. Contact us at booker.jayne@...

      Thanks - Jayne Booker, Janet and Wylie Greig

      The Sample Letter
      Dear Senator _______________,
      You care profoundly about America’s role in the world. You represent the United States as a gatekeeper, helping to determine how America presents itself to the rest of the world. You have made many important votes in your life but none more crucial than that at the July, 2009 mark-up of the Foreign Operations Bill when the Senate will be voting the appropriation for the Peace Corps.
      I am one of several million Americans who hope that on that day you support an appropriation of $450 million an amount that will allow the Peace Corps to grow, reform and innovate at a time when the US needs soft power initiatives to help restore US standing in the world. With this money hundreds of new volunteers will be able to head out to strategically important counties like Indonesia.
      Your colleagues in the House listened to the fervent arguments from their constituents and thousands of other Americans, and in the end voted unanimously for the robust $450 million in a stellar act of bipartisanship. Their acts will never be forgotten by the 195,000 returned volunteers who yearn to see a Peace Corps that after half a century fulfills all that President John F. Kennedy hoped it would be. I hope that you will join them in their important vote. I also hope that you will consider becoming a cosigner of Senator Dodd’s bill, the Peace Corps Improvement and Expansion Act of 2009 that will create the underpinnings of this bold new Peace Corps.
      The Peace Corps is under funded. In 2009, we will send fewer than 3,500 volunteers to the Peace Corps - less than half the number in 1966. Over twenty nations without Peace Corps missions including Indonesia, Vietnam, and Sierra Leone have requested new programs, but due to insufficient funds, Peace Corps cannot respond. In 2008 alone, over 13,000 people applied to become volunteers, a 16% increase over 2007. The number of minority applicants and applicants over the age of 50 also rose by double digits in the last year. The desire for Americans to serve internationally is matched by a long list of countries that want volunteers. This is an appropriate time to grow and revitalize Peace Corps.
      The Peace Corps had a profound impact on my life and US community. I served in _____(add your own message)__________.
      I hope you share my view that the Peace Corps is a vital component of our public diplomacy toolbox. Since 1961, nearly 200,000 Peace Corps volunteers have provided meaningful, small-scale development assistance, reversing stereotypes about Americans and returning stateside to enrich communities domestically with new language and other skills. Peace Corps continues to be one of America’s finest expressions of friendship and solidarity across the globe.
      We must work diligently to reinvigorate our foreign policy and not simple burnish America’s image but show the world the greatness and generosity of individual Americans. Investing in a bold new Peace Corps would help to reestablish our credibility and moral standing abroad, while exposing people to the core American values of peace, progress, tolerance and prosperity. It is for these reasons I urge you to support a $450 million Peace Corps appropriation..
      Thank you for your support.

      Sincerely,
      [Your Name]