Hear how the Rosetta Project is "Documenting all Human Language" at th e Commonwealth Club in San Francisco

  • kjkeefer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2009
      The Commonwealth Club of California in association with NorCal Peace Corps Association will present “The Rosetta Project: Documenting All Human Language for the next 10,000 Years" at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, April 13th. It is estimated that 90% of the existing human languages will become lost or endangered in the next century. Long Now Foundation Director, Alexander Rose, and Rosetta Project Director, Dr. Laura Welcher, will inform us how they are collecting and archiving the world’s languages on the web, and etching them into metal to last for millennia to come. For more information on this program, go to: http://commonwealthclub.org, then under the calendar in the upper right-hand corner, scroll down to and click on April 13th.

      In partnering with the Commonwealth Club, NorCal PCA members can register for the member price of $8, versus the non-member price of $15. However, rather than registering online, you must register by phone to get this discounted price; so call 415-597-6705. (Students with ID register for just $7.) Another advantage of this partnership is that NorCal PCA will receive some publicity in spreading the word about continuing our work in international development. We hope that many of you will take advantage of this relationship and help spread the word to your friends, relatives, and others who might be interested in learning more about our experiences. Then come to the program to be recognized.

      If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 650-995-7747 or e-mail me at kjkeefer@....

      Karen Keefer
      RPCV/Nigeria & Liberia; X-staff/HQ
      Program Coordinator