Oddball events

  • Kandis Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      I like doing weird things on the theory that I might like them & that
      Peninsula life can get dull. Best yet if they are free & not all the way to
      San Fran. Here are a couple of things going on at Stanford that I'd like to
      attend. If you are interested, let me know & we can arrange to meet for a
      burger at Town & Country shopping center or a drink afterwards. If I don't
      hear from you, I may or may not go. Kandis kscott33@...

      The CREEES "Sounds of Eurasia" performance series presents:
      "An Evening of the Traditional Mugham and Folk Dance Music of Azerbaijan"
      Rahman Assadollahi, Master of Azerbaijani Garmon

      Introduction and commentary by Izaly Zemtsovsky, Series Coordinator
      Wednesday, March 4, 7:30 pm
      Campbell Recital Hall (Braun Music Center)
      Co-sponsored by the Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies
      (CREEES), the Stanford Institute for Creativity and the Arts (SiCa), the
      Special Languages Program, and the US Dept of Education (Title VI).
      Free and open to the public

      Doors open at 7 pm
      Closest parking is behind Tresidder Union
      No photography, audio or video taping permitted.
      Event information: (650) 725-2563

      CREEES Central Asian film series presents:
      Daughter-in-Law
      Turkmen, 1972 . Directed by Khodzhakuli Narliev
      Critics have called 'Daughter-in-Law' an encyclopedia of life of Turkmen
      life on the steppes, and a Shakespearean tragedy on the steppe. The plot is
      based on actual events: A woman refuses to believe that her husband has died
      and awaits his return while living with her father-in-law, a steppe herder.
      Her life of hope, visions and dreams is explored.
      Tuesday, March 10th at 7 pm
      Building 260 (Pigott Hall) room 113
      Introduction and commentary by Alma Kunanbaeva (Anthropology Department)

      All films shown with English subtitles
      Event information: (650) 725-2563
      http://creees.stanford.edu/events/eurasian-film-series.html