Upcoming event

  • Kandis Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2008
      Note that this World Affairs Council lecture is about Africa, is in the
      Mid-Peninsula, and is Free. I hope that many will attend and find each
      other for follow-up conversation after the talk. BTW I have been to one of
      these Los Altos talks & found the seats very limited. Kandis Scott

      Greetings,

      The World Affairs Council Peninsula Chapter and the Los Altos Library are
      sponsoring an event on June 18 at the Los Altos Youth Center. Professor
      Jeremy Weinstein will discuss "Africa in the 21st Century: What Can We
      Expect." The doors open at 7:00 for refreshments and the program will be
      from 7:30 to 9:00PM. Additional details and program description are
      provided below. This will be our last event before the summer break and we
      hope you can make it to an informed discussion on this very import region of
      the world.

      Regards,
      Ralph Kuiper

      Peninsula Chapter of the World Affairs Council of Northern California and
      the Los Altos Public Library Present:

      Wednesday, June 18, 2008

      "Africa in the 21st Century: What to Expect?"

      Jeremy Weinstein, Assistant Professor of Political Science and Director of
      the Center for African Studies, Stanford University

      Amidst an unrelenting flow of disturbing headlines-soaring food prices and
      shortages, continued violence in Darfur, stolen elections in Zimbabwe and
      Kenya-there are also signs of progress on the African continent. Economic
      growth is on the rise; democracy is taking root in many countries; and great
      progress is being made in the fight against disease, as hundreds of
      thousands of Africans now have access to life-saving anti-retroviral
      treatment. Will Africa be the next development miracle or should we be
      prepared for continuing instability, violence, and economic stagnation? What
      should the United States' policies be?

      Jeremy Weinstein is an assistant professor of political science at Stanford
      University and an affiliated faculty member at CDDRL and CISAC. Previously,
      he was a research fellow at the Center for Global Development, where he
      directed the bi-partisan Commission on Weak States and U.S. National
      Security.

      Location:
      Los Altos Youth Center
      1 South San Antonio Rd., Los Altos