Save the elephants!

  • KjkeeFer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2008
      Just got this announcement from a friend of mine who works in Africa. If
      we buy this product, perhaps the needless killing of elephants in Africa
      will stop. We also will finally be able to get some hot sauce that is as
      strong as we knew in our Peace Corps service.

      Zambia: NGO to Launch Hot Sauce Enterprise

      The Elephant Pepper Development Trust (EPDT), a non-governmental
      organization that teaches farmers to plant elephant pepper chili plants
      to deter elephants from raiding crops, will soon launch two hot sauces in
      the United States. EPDT promotes the chili peppers as both an elephant
      deterrent and a subsistence crop for small farmers, and ensures that
      farmers receive a fair price for their product. "Zambezi Red" and
      "Baobab Gold" sauces, long available in Southern Africa, will soon be
      available in Whole Foods, Safeway and other major retailers. EPDT
      receives marketing and other support from USAID's Market Access and Trade
      and Enabling Policies Project and the USAID Southern African Global
      Competitiveness Hub.