Not a Drop to Drink?

  • KjkeeFer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2007
      The August 22nd program should be of special interest to RPCVs and
      friends in the Commonwealth Club's August series dedicated to "Cool Clear
      Water". (See information forwarded below.) "Water and Human Diseases in
      Developing Countries" will feature two speakers: Jim Boylson,
      RPCV/Ethiopia, is founder/CEO of two organizations: Pure Water
      Associates, Ltd., and H20-4-Africa, and Managing Principal of dba ATAC-I;
      Dr. Vincent Resh, Professor in the Department of Environmental Science,
      Policy & Management at the University of California, Berkeley. The
      Rotary Clubs of Belmont, Woodside, and Menlo Park are partnering with us
      in this program.

      Program Summary: The control of river blindness, onchocerciasis, in West
      Africa is a public health and economic development success story of that
      continent. Thirty years ago, one-quarter of the adults in many West
      African villages were blinded by this disease. Today the area contributes
      food for 17 million people, and the disease is no longer of public health
      concern. However, the control of MANY other water-borne - often 'killer'
      diseases, now accounting for the annual deaths of 1/2 million infants and
      40% of the total mortality rate in some countries - still languishes!
      This lecture will give an overview of this African success story, while
      offering ongoing water purification alternatives—i.e., applied new
      appropriate technology that continue to address additional water-related
      public health problems around the world.

      Register: Cut and paste this link
      http://www.commonwealthclub.org/water/#wateranddisease, then click on
      "Make a Reservation. Please call me if you have any questions. I look
      forward to seeing you there.

      Karen Keefer
      Program Organizer
      650-525-1045

      Dear Club Members and Friends:

      Extreme drought warnings...

      Endangered Delta Smelt...

      Mandatory water rationing...

      Shipping water south via a peripheral canal...

      Bottled water banned by the City of San Francisco...

      "Water crisis" in California.

      Governor Schwarzenegger seems to be right - as evidenced by the recent
      flurry of water-related headlines across California, it appears that the
      state is indeed in a "water crisis" right now. With such a vast array of
      water-related issues facing our state - from pollution to privatization,
      shortages to smelt - the Commonwealth Club of California is hosting a
      month-long series of events in August to better understand the issues
      surrounding our planet's most essential natural resource.

      It is with great pleasure that I invite you to COOL, CLEAR WATER.
      Beginning on August 1st and running through the entire month, the
      Commonwealth Club is holding an extraordinary series looking at water
      from many different perspectives.

      We are bringing together many of the country's leading experts to discuss
      an intriguing variety of water-related issues. "Fresh Water in the 21st
      Century," "13 Ways to Stop Global Warming," "How Essential is Water to
      Good Health?" "The Future of Seafood" and "Keeping Katrina Out of
      California" are just a few of the 22 events planned for the Cool, Clear
      Water series. Speakers range from oceans expert Sylvia Earle to filmmaker
      Deborah Kauffman.

      Nearly all of these programs are FREE for Club members and very low cost
      for non-members, thanks to generous support from the Richard and Rhoda
      Goldman Fund and the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.

      The full list of programs in the water series is below. All programs will
      take place at The Club (595 Market Street, San Francisco) unless
      otherwise specified. Please go to www.commonwealthclub.org/water to
      register for the water programs.

      Our diet, lifestyle, health and the well-being of our environment depend
      on abundant availability of fresh water and the health of the oceans. I
      truly hope that you will join us for this significant, timely series, to
      learn more about the state of our water resources.

      With best regards,

      Dr. Gloria C. Duffy
      President and CEO
      The Commonwealth Club

      Saturday, July 28
      THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT
      Bair island Canoe and Restoration
      Location: Redwood City
      11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., $25

      Wednesday, August 1
      Opening Gala: A Celebration of Oceans
      Sylvia Earle
      Location: Aquarium of the Bay, Pier 39
      5:15 p.m. wine and hors d'oeuvres reception, 6 p.m. program
      $15 Club members and Bay Institute members, $30 non-members

      Thursday, August 2
      Fresh Water in the 21st Century
      Peter Gleick, Gil Garcetti
      5:15 p.m. reception/viewing of photographs, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Friday, August 3
      Thirteen Ways to Stop Global Warming
      Alrie Middlebrook
      11:30 a.m. check-in, noon program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Saturday, August 4
      Improve Wetland Habitat at Shoreline Park, Oakland
      Location: MLK Jr. Shoreline Park, Oakland
      9 a.m. to noon, free event

      Monday, August 6
      Water Wars: Drought, Flood, Folly and the Politics of Thirst
      5:30 p.m. book discussion (author Diane Raines Ward will not be present)
      free for members and non-members

      Monday, August 6
      Dams and Global Warming: Polluting Reservoirs, Droughts and Floods
      Patrick McCully
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Tuesday, August 7
      Maximum Wine, Minimum Water
      Remi Cohen
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Wednesday, August 8
      How Essential Is Water to Good Health?
      Diana Amodia, M.D.
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Thursday, August 9
      Colonial History and India's Water Woes
      Meena Palaniappan
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Monday, August 13
      The Privatization of Water
      Deborah Kaufman, Alan Snitow
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Tuesday, August 14
      Hetch Hetchy and Beyond
      Susan Leal
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Wednesday August 15
      The Nexus of Water, Energy and Climate
      Heather Cooley
      11:30 a.m. check-in, noon program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Thursday, August 16
      Flood Control and Water Management
      Raymond Seed, Peter Rabbon, Les Harder, Dave Brent, Ron Stork
      11:30 check-in, noon program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Thursday, August 16
      Is There a Future for the San Joaquin Delta?
      Greg Gartrell, Tom Graff, Ellen Hanak, Mike Taugher
      Location: Lafayette
      6 p.m. check-in, 6:30 p.m. program
      $15 members, $30 non-members

      Monday, August 20
      Return of a World-Class Bay Area Ferry System
      Steve Castleberry
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Tuesday, August 21
      Future of the Salton Sea
      Michael Cohen, Rick Daniels, Ian Hart, Dale Hoffman-Foerke
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Wednesday, August 22
      Water and Human Disease in Developing Countries
      Vincent Resh, Jim Boylson
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Monday, August 27
      Sacred Water
      Tully McCarroll
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Tuesday, August 28
      Water in Israel
      Booker Holton
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Wednesday, August 29
      Saving the Bay Again...
      David Lewis, Sylvia McLaughlin, Pete McCloskey
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $8 non-members

      Thursday, August 30
      Fish Forever
      Paul Johnson in conversation with Ed Uebers
      Location: Farallon Restaurant
      11:30 a.m. check-in, noon luncheon and program
      $65 members, $75 non-members

      Thursday, August 30
      Water and Social Justice
      Whitney Dotson, Mark Franco, Laurel Firestone, Amy Vanderwarker
      5:30 p.m. reception, 6 p.m. program
      free for members, $12 non-members