Register for Friends of Nigeria Celebration/Reunion/Meeting on August 11

  • KjkeeFer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2007
      Just a reminder that it's time to get your reservations in to the Friends
      of Nigeria (FON) Annual Celebration/Reunion on San Francisco Bay Aug.
      10-12. We've got events planned from a panel discussion to a Dinner on
      the Bay complete with African and San Francisco touches and goodies,
      along with a scenic wine tour. We have a premeeting walking tour of the
      Bay. The registration form is below. Please register now. If you have
      friends coming in from out of town, note:

      DISCOUNT RATES AT THE HOTEL BERESFORD NEAR UNION SQUARE ARE GUARANTEED
      ONLY THROUGH WEDNESDAY, JULY 10.

      These rates are $95-105 per room in a fun hotel in a great location at a
      price that is extremely competitive anywhere near SF in the height of
      tourist season. Call the hotel at 415-673-9900 or 800-533-6533. The rates
      are available before and after the meeting period, but extended discounts
      must be booked through the 415 number. Hotel website is
      www.beresford.com.

      And PLEASE use the coupon below to make reservations this week for our
      Bayside dinner. We're a small organization, and need a head count as
      early as possible. You may send questions to Maureen Osen at
      fonsfmeeting@... or 408-530-8472.

      Thanks! Look forward to seeing many of you next month,

      Mike Goodkind
      FON President

      Annual Celebration/Reunion/Meeting

      Friday Aug. 10 through Sunday Aug. 12

      SAN FRANCISCO

      FRIDAY, AUG. 10

      8 TO 10 P.M.
      Informal, no host reception at a popular downtown San Francisco
      restaurant/pub to be announced - probably the Beresford Hotel

      SATURDAY, AUG. 11

      9:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
      Join long-time Bay Area resident Bud Abbott, Nigeria 19, at the
      Fishermen's Wharf terminus of the Powell Street Cable Car for a walk
      along the Bay pedestrian route toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Bud is
      biologist who is running a habitat restoration project on the Bay. Stop
      for lunch at a deli enroute to our meeting site at Fort Mason. (Contact
      Bud at abbco@... for details.)

      12:30 P.M. TO 10 P.M.
      Reunion and gathering at the Firehouse
      at Fort Mason on San Francisco Bay.

      All day: Watch for a BOOK SALE, organized by Karen Keefer, Nigeria 26
      ('66-'68). This collection includes works by Nigerian authors, as well
      RPCVs. Some new copies, some old and some autographed by people whose
      names you will probably recognize. Proceeds will benefit FON.

      12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Annual General Meeting
      a. FON business
      b. Proposed Back to Nigeria Trip
      c. Microloans and FON

      2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
      Guest speaker/panel - An update on Nigeria and the world from a
      U.S.-Africa perspective. Hosted by Father Edward Inyanwachi, a Ph.D
      candidate at the University of San Francisco

      3:45 to 5:30 p.m. - Entertainment -- possible special guest solo play

      5:30 to 6:30 p.m. - Wine tasting/reception. The wine tasting will be
      moderated by FON member Norm Gary, Nigeria 01, as well as a casual
      wine/beer/soft drink bar on the patio. View Alcatraz, the Golden Gate
      Bridge and more. No host.

      6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Dinner Buffet. Dinner is included in registration,
      but you're welcome to bring a favorite dish. We'll also have available
      premium wines (and also a familiar drink from Nigeria) and desserts from
      a major San Francisco bakery.
      Over dessert, Charlene Baldwin, Nigeria 24, and her son, who was born
      while she was in Peace Corps service in Lalupon from 1966 to 1968, will
      give us a look at her Nigerian hometown through the years. Charlene has
      returned to Nigeria regularly for 40 years and her presentation will
      depict the changes she saw over time.

      $60 contribution per person covers facility, dinner, a beautiful day with
      a beautiful view and surprises. Any net proceeds benefit FON's VSO
      Support Program. Public transportation is available and parking is
      relatively easy, often at no cost on the street, near the Firehouse.

      SUNDAY, AUG. 12

      A Tour of California's "Other" Wine Country

      Join Norm Gary, Nigeria 01, currently a California wine consultant who is
      familiar with various California wine producing areas. We'll travel by
      bus to a selection of Santa Cruz Mountain wineries just south of San
      Francisco. The wines of this lesser known region are comparable to the
      far more crowded and commercialized Napa and Sonoma valleys. The bus will
      enable everyone to partake of the wine guilt free with no need to drive.
      We may return to San Francisco via the strikingly gorgeous San Mateo
      Coast. Rates will be approximately $100 to $120 per person. Please sign
      up now to request a reservation with a $75 deposit.

      Don't forget that we have negotiated special rates at the Beresford Hotel
      on Sutter Street in San Francisco. It's about a 45-minute scenic walk
      from the meeting site, or a short easy cab ride or more adventurous bus
      ride away. Contact the Beresford at 800-533-6533, 415-673-9900 or,
      www.beresford.com. Explain you are with FON or the Nigeria group for
      special rates ($95-105) through July 10. The rates are available for
      stays beyond the weekend, but extended discount rates must be booked
      through the hotel's direct (415) number, not toll free number (800).

      RESERVATIONS

      Please sign up as early as possible to help us plan the best event
      possible

      Name:_______________ No. of persons and names___________

      Address: _______________________________________________

      Phone: ______________________________________

      Email________________________________________

      FON member: __Yes, __No, but I want information on joining (someone will
      get back to you). __No thanks.

      FON affiliation: RPCV? __Yes, group no., __ Other________________

      __I'm coming to the Aug. 11 event. Enclosed is $60 per person.
      __I'm interested in the wine tour. Enclosed is my deposit of $75 per
      person, refundable before July 1.
      __ I'm not sure about the wine tour. Put my name down and I'll let
      you know if I'm interested if there is still space.

      Please send your reservation to:

      Maureen Osen (08/'63-'65)
      1413 Belleville Way
      Sunnyvale, CA 94087

      Please make checks payable to: Friends of Nigeria

      For further information, contact Maureen at the above address or
      fonsfmeeting@... , or 408-530-8472.

      ---------

      MEETING DETAILS WILL BE UPDATED ON THE FON WEBSITE:
      www.friendsofnigeria.org, or join a discussion at the FONmembers
      GoogleGroup site http://groups.google.com/group/FONmembers
      ####

      --