Sign up for Friends of Nigeria (FON) Annual Celebration

  • KjkeeFer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2007
      Invitation for All to Register for
      FON Annual Celebration/Reunion/Meeting
      Preliminary schedule

      Friday Aug. 10 through Sunday Aug. 12

      SAN FRANCISCO

      FRIDAY, AUG. 10

      8 TO 10 P.M.
      Informal, no host reception at a popular downtown San Francisco
      restaurant/pub to be announced

      SATURDAY, AUG. 11

      9:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
      Join long-time Bay Area resident Bud Abbott, Nigeria 19, at the
      Fishermen’s Wharf terminus of the Powell Street Cable Car for a walk
      along the Bay pedestrian route toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Bud is
      biologist who is running a habitat restoration project on the Bay. Stop
      for lunch at a deli enroute to our meeting site at Fort Mason.
      (Contact Bud at abbco@... for details.)

      12:30 P.M. TO 10 P.M.
      Reunion and gathering at the Firehouse
      at Fort Mason on San Francisco Bay

      Afternoon BOOK SALE, organized by Karen Keefer, Nigeria 26 (’66-’68).
      This collection includes works by Nigerian authors, as well RPCVs. Some
      new copies, some old and some autographed by people whose names you
      recognize. Proceeds will benefit FON.

      2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. - Guest speaker/panel – An update on Nigeria and
      the world from a U.S.-Africa perspective. Hosted by Father Edward
      Inyanwachi, a Ph.D candidate at the University of San Francisco

      3:45 to 5:00 p.m. – Entertainment
      Charlene Baldwin, Nigeria 24, and her son, who was born while she was in
      Peace Corps service in Lalupon from 1966 to 1968, will give us a look at
      her Nigerian hometown through the years. Charlene has returned to Nigeria
      regularly for 40 years and her presentation will depict the changes she
      saw over time.
      5:00 to 6:00 p.m. — Wine tasting/reception. The wine tasting will be
      moderated by FON member Norm Gary, Nigeria 01, as well as a casual
      wine/beer/soft drink bar on the patio. View Alcatraz, the Golden Gate
      Bridge and more. No host.

      6:00 p.m. to 9 p.m. – Dinner Buffet. Dinner is included in registration,
      but you’re welcome to bring a favorite dish. We’ll also have available
      premium wines (and also a familiar drink from Nigeria) and desserts from
      a major San Francisco bakery.

      $60 contribution per person covers facility, dinner, a beautiful day with
      a beautiful view and surprises. Any net proceeds benefit FON’s VSO
      Support Program. Public transportation is available and parking is
      relatively easy, often at no cost on the street, near the Firehouse.

      SUNDAY, AUG. 12

      A Tour of California’s “Other” Wine Country

      Join Norm Gary, Nigeria 01, currently a California wine consultant who is
      familiar with various California wine producing areas. We’ll travel by
      bus to a selection of Santa Cruz Mountain wineries just south of San
      Francisco. The wines of this lesser known region are comparable to the
      far more crowded and commercialized Napa and Sonoma valleys. The bus will
      enable everyone to partake of the wine guilt free with no need to drive.
      We may return to San Francisco via the strikingly gorgeous San Mateo
      Coast. Rates will be approximately $100 to $120 per person. Please sign
      up now to request a reservation with a $75 deposit.

      We have negotiated special rates at the Beresford Hotel on Sutter Street
      in San Francisco. It’s about a 45-minute scenic walk from the meeting
      site, or a short easy cab ride or more adventurous bus ride away. Contact
      the Beresford at 800-533-6533, 415-673-9900 or, www.beresford.com.
      Explain you are with FON or the Nigeria group for special rates ($95-105)
      through July 10. The rates are available for stays beyond the weekend,
      but extended discount rates must be booked through the hotel’s direct
      (415) number, not toll free number (800).

      RESERVATIONS

      Please sign up as early as possible to help us plan the best event
      possible

      Name:____________________ No. of persons and
      names_____________________________

      Address:

      _

      Phone: ______________________________________

      Email________________________________________

      FON member: ___Yes, ___No, but I want information on joining (someone
      will get back to you). __No thanks.
      _
      FON affiliation: RPCV? ___Yes, group no., ___ Other____________________

      ___I’m coming to the Aug. 11 event. Enclosed is $60 per person.
      ___I’m interested in the wine tour. Enclosed is my deposit of $75 per
      person, refundable before July 1.
      ___ I’m not sure about the wine tour. Put my name down and
      I’ll let you know if I’m interested if there is still space.

      Please send your reservation to:

      Maureen Osen (08/’63-’65)
      1413 Belleville Way
      Sunnyvale, CA 94087

      Please make checks payable to: Friends of Nigeria

      For further information, contact Maureen at the above address or
      fonsfmeeting@..., or 408-530-8472.

      ---------

      MEETING DETAILS WILL BE UPDATED ON THE FON WEBSITE:
      www.friendsofnigeria.org, or join a discussion at the FONmembers
      GoogleGroup site http://groups.google.com/group/FONmembers