Re: Dinner and Talk, next TUESDAY at 7 in San Jose

  • Kathleen Lester
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2007
      Ooops, the email I sent out earlier had the wrong day of the week. The dinner and talk will be on TUESDAY, January 30. Not Thursday. The

      The updated announcement is below.

      --------
      There will be a South Bay dinner followed by a presentation about Iran at 7pm on TUESDAY, January 30 at Cuccini's in San Jose.

      The talk, which will begin around 8pm, is entitled "Modernization and Social Transformation in an Iranian Village: Young Women's Increasing Education and Assertiveness" It will be given by Santa Clara University Professor of Anthropology Mary Hegland.

      The Cucinni Restaurant is in downtown San Jose, next to the Tied House, at 72 North Almaden Avenue, San Pedro Square, 408-287-1737.

      Mary served in the Peace Corps from 1966-1968 and conducted her PhD dissertation field research in the village of Aliabad in 1978-1979. She has returned to Aliabad for a total of four and a half months, in 2003, 2004, and
      2005-6.

      Please RSVP to Kate at k8lester_gambia@....

    • Marianne Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2007
        I have been attempting to host a very informal weekly rubber bridge game at my
        apartment in San Mateo but often we have three people who can play but not four. In the
        short term, I'm looking for someone to play next week. We are pretty open as to the
        evening next week. The game starts at 7 p.m. But long term we would like a few more
        people who are interested in playing on a semi-regular basis so that we don't have to miss
        any weeks. If you can laugh at your own mistakes as well as your partner's and you are
        willing to kibbitz afterwards about what went right and wrong, then you will definitely fit
        in. You can email me or call me at 650-548-1937.

        Marianne Thomas
        Venezuela, 1976