New Peace Corps Director Nominated

  • Pete Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2006
      NorCal
      The following announcement came from the National Peace Corps
      Association today and is followed by a brief editorial comment. As you
      may know, Gaddi Vasquez is leaving the Peace Corps in September. The PC
      Director position is a political appointment subject to Senate
      confirmation and the candidate below was endorsed by NPCA along with a
      few others when Gaddi was appointed several years ago.
      Pete

      Dear Group Leaders,

      I am very pleased to share with you the news that Ron Tschetter has
      been nominated to be the 17th Director of Peace Corps.� (Below are
      links to the White House news release mentioning the appointment, as
      well as a link from Ron�s company.)

      Ron and his wife Nancy were volunteers in India.� Given that, we are
      very pleased that Ron's background meets the essential criteria NPCA
      expressed to the White House Personnel Office.

      We are also grateful that Ron knows NPCA well as past Chair and current
      member of the Director�s Circle.�

      We very much look forward to working with Ron as the next director in
      strengthening the partnership between Peace Corps and NPCA, especially
      around Third Goal Activities in which your groups are so deeply
      engaged.

      NPCA stands ready to assist Ron through the confirmation process, which
      hopefully will be completed before the October Congressional Recess.

      I hope you are having a great summer and look forward to seeing many of
      you in September.

      With very best wishes,

      Kevin Q.

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/07/20060725-5.html

      <http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?
      ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060725006188&newsLang=en>

      Editorial Comment
      We served on the NPCA Board with Ron and think we have a winner here.
      Susan was Board Chair before Ron and worked with him in transition and
      Pete was on the board Executive Committee while Ron was Chair. He
      brings business management and people skills to the Peace Corps plus a
      love for Peace Corps. He and Nancy were PCVs in India in the late 60s
      in a family planning group that included Lillian Carter, mother of
      former President Carter, and they had their group reunion in the White
      House.
      Pete Johnson and Susan Neyer, former NPCA Board members