Some free world music performances 6/19 and 6/25

  • Peter Ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2006
      Last night at our fine South Bay RPCV dinner at the Armenian deli & cafe several members suggested I pass on info on two upcoming performances of music by the World Harmony Chorus that I sing with.

      I'm copying below a long message from our director Daniel Steinberg, and here are some comments of my own:

      At both concerts we'll sing seven songs from six countries (Argentina, Croatia, Sweden, Bosnia, Spain, and two anti-apartheid songs from South Africa that are my favorites--they really rock!). After we sing these songs next Monday evening in Mountain View, Daniel will teach both the audience and us one or two songs, in four parts! (Pete Seeger is the only other musician I've ever seen attempt to do such a thing, and ours may be in Xhosa or who knows what language.) For any of you who might like to join such a chorus--it's a lot of fun and there are no auditions--this is a great way to try us out. A pdf flyer for this concert is at http://InstantHarmony.com/Jun19FFPoster.pdf

      The following weekend is the all-volunteer San Francisco Free Folk Festival, my favorite weekend of the year. The full schedule at http://www.sffolkfest.org/2006/frameset.html gives about ten music or dance workshops at each hour, in addition to many half-hour concerts (like ours at 4:40 Sunday) in the Auditorium. Since it's free, you're bound to get your money's worth!

      Peter Ross
      India '63-'65
      pross@...
      The World Harmony Chorus will be performing our end-of-season concerts for the next two weeks, and they are all free. Details and directions are at <http://InstantHarmony.com/concerts.html>. I hope you can make it!

      Mon, Jun 19 7:30 PM FREE
      Mountain View Friends & Family Night
      Community School of Music and Arts
      230 San Antonio Circle, Mountain View
      directions: <http://arts4all.org/contactus/mapdirections.htm>

      Tue, Jun 20 7:30 PM FREE
      East Bay Friends & Family Night
      Lake Merritt United Methodist Church
      1330 Lakeshore, Oakland
      directions: <http://www.lakemerrittumc.org/directions.htm>

      Sun, Jun 25 4:40 PM FREE
      San Francisco Free Folk Festival Concert
      Roosevelt Middle School <http://www.sffolkfest.org/>
      460 Arguello (at Geary), San Francisco

      The Fall Session of the chorus starts up in September. Come and join us!
      For more information, see the chorus website at: <http://InstantHarmony.com/chorus.html>

      Founded in 1999, the World Harmony Chorus performs vocal music from around
      the world. The WHC is a community chorus, open to singers at all levels of
      ability and experience. Drawn from a wide variety of ethnic sources and folk
      traditions, including South African freedom songs, Eastern European kolos,
      Latin American choral works, and English and American folk music,
      their repertoire is exciting and rich with harmony and polyrhythm.

      Founder and director Daniel Steinberg has been collecting choral music and
      leading "Instant Harmony" workshops around the country for several years. He
      is a member of the popular Bay Area traditional music group, Hillbillies
      from Mars, with whom he performs on piano and flute.

      ---------

      The chorus is hosted in Oakland by the Lake Merritt UMC: http://www.lakemerrittumc.com

      In Mountain View, the chorus is a program of the Community School of Music and Arts
      (CSMA), a non-profit arts education center committed to providing arts for all.
      To learn about CSMA's programs for all ages (classes, lessons, arts-in-the-schools,
      concerts, exhibits, outreach events), call (650) 917-6800 or visit:
      <http://www.arts4all.org>

      This message scanned for viruses and SPAM at SCU (MGW2)