Fwd: United We Serve - A summertime service initiative

  • Ben Bellows
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2009
      FYI

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Jody Olsen, Acting Director of Peace Corps <stories@...>
      Date: Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM
      Subject: United We Serve

      THE DIRECTOR OF THE PEACE CORPS
      WASHINGTON, D.C.

      June 19, 2009

      Dear Returned Peace Corps Volunteers:

      I am proud to invite you to join President Obama's summer service
      initiative - United We Serve - a call to all Americans to join a
      volunteer effort this summer and be part of building a new foundation
      for America, one community at a time.

      United We Serve officially starts on June 22 and runs through the
      National Day of Service and Remembrance on September 11. Since his
      inauguration, the President has called on all Americans to serve their
      communities and be a part of building a better future for our country.

      At nearly 200,000 strong, returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) have
      a tradition of making a difference in their communities by selflessly
      contributing their skills and experience through their dedication to
      service. Across America, individual RPCVs and RPCV groups are engaged
      in grassroots projects like restoring hiking trails in Denver,
      providing assistance and education opportunities to refugees in San
      Francisco, and offering volunteer translation services for families
      with medical emergencies in St. Louis.

      The President believes that America's new foundation will be built one
      community at a time, through an ethic of service and volunteerism and
      the personal commitment of individuals willing to give of themselves
      to build a better future. This is a commitment that is well understood
      by everyone in the Peace Corps community.

      When volunteers commit to long-term service projects in their
      communities, they build expertise and strengthen their community's
      capacity to meet its challenges.  In many places, community-based
      organizations' capacity is strained, so we are calling on all RPCVs to
      take a leadership role in recruiting and organizing their friends,
      family, and neighbors to bring about the change that is needed. Maybe
      that is organizing a neighborhood to rebuild a playground, creating a
      clothing drive, or volunteering to refurbish a local school.

      I encourage you to visit www.serve.gov, to find service opportunities
      near you and to post your own projects. Throughout the summer, the
      Obama administration will look to highlight examples of exemplary
      service - both in existing programs and new ones - that meet the
      President's call by building a community's capacity to address our
      most pressing problems. These stories of service will lay the
      groundwork for future efforts.

      You can learn more about RPCV United We Serve participation and share
      your own story of service by visiting
      www.peacecorps.gov/unitedweserve.

      I intend to contribute to United We Serve in my local community. I
      hope you will consider completing a project in yours.