Fw: Tell us about your Volunteer and Service Work

  • NorCalPCA
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5 4:51 PM
      Hi RPCVs,

      This request from the local Peace Corps office has a quick turn around time (Monday!), but if you are interested in sharing with the White House how you continue to be engaged in civic life after the Peace Corps and can respond over the weekend, read on.

      Best,
      Ben

      Ben Bellows
      Listserve Moderator
      Ecuador, '97-'00

      Considering supporting NorCal with an active paid membership.  Visit either NPCA at https://secure.peacecorpsconnect.org/membership/application  or  NorCalPCA at http://www.norcalpca.org/.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7 7:39 AM

        A brief description of the organization:

        The Building Homes Building Hope home building program was started by Lynne Moquete, a former Peace Corps Volunteer who served in the Dominican Republic. Their exposure to another culture encourages them to learn more about themselves and experience how people live in developing nations. Lynne has been recognized for her outstanding service to youth by the California State Legislature and was given an "Excellence in Education" award from the Petaluma School District and Petaluma Chamber of Commerce.

        The type of projects worked on:
        Building Homes Building Hope participants leave their comfortable American surroundings to spend time living with poor families and working in rural areas of the Dominican Republic building homes, throwing floors, building latrines, working in local schools and hospitals.

        Contact info:

        Director, Lynne Moquete - lynne@...

        707.364.0867

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7 9:57 PM

          I serve as Board President for Schools for Salone (Krio word for Sierra Leone) www.schoolsforsalone.org. We just completed building our tenth primary school in Sierra Leone and have three more funded to build. SfS is a non profit started by an RPCV in Seattle. As part of our building efforts we also work to provide educational resources including books and teacher training. I travel back annually to Sierra Leone and also helped to rebuild my former PC school after the brutal 10 year war. Bob Heavner bob47dr@... RPCV 1969-71