Northern California Peace Corps Association Annual Picnic and NPCA Events

  • Andrew Bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2008
      Hi all,

      I just sent out an invite to NorCal PCA members for the Annual Picnic and National Peace Corps Association. If you are not a member, please RSVP at this link http://crush3r.com/page/yrcoaeqlmr?i=joyqjicrds and then go to http://www.norcalpca.org and sign up to be a member. The $19 annual membership fee supports our activities in the Bay Areas to keep RPCVs connected and active in fulfilling the Third Goal of the Peace Corps.

      Northern California Peace Corps Association Annual Pot Luck Picnic

      WHEN: Sunday, October 5th, 11 am - 3 pm
      WHERE: Peacock Meadow, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
      WHO: RPCVs, friends, family and colleagues

      Our Annual Pot Luck Picnic in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park is quickly approaching! We will be convening again in Peacock Meadow, the site of last year's Picnic. Bring friends, family, your picnic baskets and blankets or camping chairs to sit on.

      In the past, we have had the NorCal Annual Pot Luck Picnic on Saturday but will have it on Sunday this year to coincide with the National Peace Corps Association's Annual General Meeting which will take place on Saturday.

      Because SF Parks and Recreation closes down JFK Drive on Sundays, drivers will have to park along Fulton or Stanyan and walk in. Parking at the Music Concourse (entrance at 10th Avenue and Fulton) is $3. There is also parking at St. Mary's Hospital (Fulton and Stanyan).

      The east side of Golden Gate Park is served by several public transit routes. From downtown, take SF Muni buses #5, 7, 21, 71 or the Muni-Metro N-Judah streetcar. From north of the Park, take Muni buses #33 or 44. From South of the Park, take Muni buses #33, 44 or 71. See http://transit.511.org for more info.

      As it is a pot luck, please come with the food item that corresponds with the first letter of your surname:

      A-F: Drinks
      G-L: Desserts
      M-R: Main Dishes
      S-Z: Salads and Sides

      At noon, National Peace Corps Association President Kevin Quigley and Northern California Peace Corps Association President Scott Watenpaugh will speak. Eating and socializing will then commence until 2. We will have name tags on hand so that you can meet up with RPCVs from the region or country in which you served. A kids table, games, RPCV calendars for sale, and information about the More Peace Corps campaign will be available. There will also be a free raffle.

      National Peace Corps Association Events

      The Annual Picnic will be the last event of a weekend filled with Peace Corps activities. The National Peace Corps Association (www.rpcv.org) will be holding a number of events in San Francisco over the course of the weekend:

      Friday, October 3rd:

       6 - 8 pm Sargent Shriver Award Reception, Grace Cathedral Dining
                    Room, 1100 California St. RPCV Joan Velasquez (Bolivia 67-69)
                    receive the 2008 Sargent Shriver Award for Distinguished
                    Humanitarian Service. Joan and her husband Segundo co-
                    founded Mano a Mano, a non-profit organization that has
                    improved the lives of hundreds of thousands of Bolivians.
              PLEASE RSVP TO EMILY@... BY SEPT. 22ND.

      Saturday, October 4th:

      8:30 - 10 am NPCA Annual General Meeting, Jewish
                         Community Center, 3200 California St. Members
                         of NPCA can learn about what's going on with
                         NPCA. Registration begins at 8:30.

      Visit the NPCA website at http://www.rpcv.org for more details on both of these events and more!

      See you there!

      Andrew Bradley