Re: Too Many Innocents Abroad

  • lwaters510
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
      I read the op-ed piece- My riposte- If the writer was country
      Ddirector, why couldn't he see to it that PCV's were able work on
      second projects if they were teachers- or help them in their projects so
      they can accomplish more?
      --- In NorCalPCA@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Schaffer" <sjschaff@...>
      wrote:

      > NY Times op ed piece should provoke comments.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/09strauss.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=p\
      eace+corps&oref=slogin

      > I think he's missing the fact that someone with a new perspective and
      > little baggage (academic or ego) can contribute mightily to helping
      > solve problems and moving the ball forward.
      >
      > Though I've got 50+ years under my belt, I know from previous work on
      > ideation and other problem solving processes, injecting new people --
      > especially from different backgrounds than the local populace, can
      > make a mighty difference.

    • lwaters510
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
        wrote:

        > NY Times op ed piece should provoke comments.

        http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/09strauss.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=p\
        eace+corps&oref=slogin

        > I think he's missing the fact that someone with a new perspective and
        > little baggage (academic or ego) can contribute mightily to helping
        > solve problems and moving the ball forward.
        >
        > Though I've got 50+ years under my belt, I know from previous work on
        > ideation and other problem solving processes, injecting new people --
        > especially from different backgrounds than the local populace, can
        > make a mighty difference.

      • russianplane
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
          A good friend forwarded that article to me this morning and, I have to
          say, I didn't like it.

          Some of what he has to say is correct, but I feel like the whole tone
          is wrong. As a former Peace Corps Country Director, Strauss should
          know better. Development has never been the end goal of Peace Corps,
          but only a third of a broader goal of cultural exchange in order to
          foster peace. I think he's justified in asking for evaluations of work
          there, but so much of the work -- as my CD has pointed out many times
          -- is intangible and could never be translated to an evaluation that
          would mean anything to people back in Washington.

          As to asking the "clients" of Peace Corps what they think, there's
          probably no better feedback then President Enkhbayer of Mongolia
          asking for 1,000 PCVs each year. I can't believe the Mongolian program
          is unique in it's effect on the people where Peace Corps serves, nor
          it's support from the country of service in general. Yes, the kids who
          go to Peace Corps are, generally, young and naive, but that is partly
          why they are so successful. Having seen a lot of money wasted and
          thrown away on unsuccessful development "professionals" who swoop into
          countries for a brief time and dictate polity to sovereign states or
          develop programs of questionable effectiveness, the Peace Corps model
          of people living deep within and with a community in the country and
          responding to local needs and requests seems to me downright
          enlightened in comparison.

          I still say, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, Peace Corps is the
          most effective program the United States has in terms of Foreign
          Policy. The goodwill that Volunteers create around the world does more
          for our image than just about anything else.

          Best regards,
          Sean
          Mongolia 2005-2007
        • Daniel Marlay
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
            Yes, I read this article, and I'm
            somewhat torn on it. On the one hand, I can see his point that sending
            people in with no experience and only a crash course on whatever might not be
            the best role. I manage volunteers for a living, and I must say, some of
            the best volunteers I get are the recently retired ones. I think PC has
            recognized this, and is making a more concerted push to recruit older
            volunteers. The idea that PC is only for 20-somethings is, of course,
            false.

            Nonetheless, I saw directly the effects that fresh-out-of-college volunteers
            had in Suriname .
            The author makes the comment that in many of these countries, there are such
            things as educated people, and quality English teachers. That may be the
            case in the cities, but in Suriname ,
            most of the volunteers are sent to the deep interior. In most of the
            interior, there is no education higher than the 6th grade, in some spots,
            nothing past the 3rd grade, and in others, no schools at all. Students
            who want to continue their education have to move to the city, and usually
            never come back. The effect is a brain drain, and for the most part, the
            people who still populate the interior have little schooling. In places
            like this, where people still live without electricity or running water, their schools
            and clinics are in shoddy condition, and the people have never really had
            access to information about health issues like clean drinking water, birth
            control, and nutrition, this is where PCVs, even without much work experience,
            still make a huge impact. Across
            Suriname 's interior, PCVs have done
            numerous projects to install rain catchment systems, renovate schools, educate
            people about the things I mentioned above (and many others), and start
            income-generation projects. While a goal of "educating the
            people" can sometimes be difficult to enumerate, as it is somewhat
            subjective, the impact of clean drinking water projects is immediately and
            easily measurable.

            I am of the understanding that one of the major requests that PC countries have
            been placing, is for volunteers with computer experience. In developing
            countries, the internet is quickly becoming a popular commodity. While
            most PCVs do not necessarily have deep technical experience in setting up
            computer networks, any recent college graduate has ample experience in using
            the internet, word processing, and excel. One of my projects was to be a
            point person for a new computer center in my school. While I did not set
            up the computers, nor do I have any networking experience, I still was able to
            teach students who had never seen a computer the basics. For people not
            brought up in a world that includes computers, even the basics can take a
            while. It was somewhat surreal to me that students who took the bus to
            school from about four miles away, who had no electricity or running water,
            were able to go online and chat with teens in the
            Netherlands .

            One of my other thoughts is that even if it is not sustainable, sometimes the
            impact of just having another body to do the work is helpful. When you are
            building a school, or digging latrines, or whatever, sometimes just being a
            part of that effort, even if one person on a twenty-person team, is a huge
            help.

            Finally, PC has three goals. Two thirds of those goals are cultural
            exchange. The sustainable development angle is the first one, but let's
            not forget about the other two goals. Certainly all of my friends and
            acquaintances know more about Suriname
            because I was there, and I know more about the
            Philippines than the average
            American since my parents were PCVs there. And while I was not the only
            American in my community, numerous people in Moengo ,
            Suriname have a deeper
            understanding of America
            and its people because of my service.

            Still, I think it is a valid point that PC should continually evaluate itself
            to determine if what it does is effective, and where it is weak, to strengthen
            it.

            Daniel Marlay

            Suriname
            '01-'03 (and fresh out of college when I did it)

            wrote:

            > NY Times op ed piece should provoke comments.

            http://www.nytimes com/2008/ 01/09/opinion/ 09strauss. html?_r=1& scp=1&sq= p\

            eace+corps&oref= slogin

            > I think he's missing the fact that someone with a new perspective and

            > little baggage (academic or ego) can contribute mightily to helping

            > solve problems and moving the ball forward.

            > Though I've got 50+ years under my belt, I know from previous work on

            > ideation and other problem solving processes, injecting new people --

            > especially from different backgrounds than the local populace, can

            > make a mighty difference.

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Peter Montalbano
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
              I'm not really offended by this article. Strauss makes several good points: Regarding Peace Corps tightening up recruitment standards, he writes:
              >>The Peace Corps has resisted doing this for fear that it would cause
              the number of volunteers to plummet. The name of the game has been
              getting volunteers into the field, qualified or not.<<
              I've seen that, in spades, as well as plenty of examples of other criticisms he makes--that the agency has no good setup for self-criticism, and that a lot of jobs are not appropriate for the needs of the country. I would add that a lot of jobs are no jobs at all, that a person is just dumped in a place and left to his/her own devices, which works sometimes, but probably more often not.
              It's OK to say that international development is only one of the three goals of the Peace Corps; it's quite another to say that that goal should be neglected, or suffer because of a sloppy bureaucratic mindset. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, isn't that what our old grandpappy used to say?

              I also believe that the Corps could be more selective. I've certainly seen a disarming number of volunteers out there who didn't seem to be on a path to contributing to any one of the three goals. But having come from an early group, when the selection process was pretty draconian, I will say that getting that part right is damn hard to do. One problem for me with Strauss's concept comes up in his suggestion that recruitment be done the way modern corporations do it, culling the "best" students from the "best" universities. Best of the best, yes, but I hope we all can agree that academic accomplishment isn't necessarily much of an indicator of how someone will do up-country. Who should be the "decider" on who is recruited, and who gets to go? I completely agree that whoever goes, over 50 or not, should have "skills and personal characteristics (which) are a solid fit for the needs of the host country."

              All in all, the article reinforces my own opinion that our beloved institution is drifting, lacking in clear and clearly needed direction.

              Peter Montalbano
              Thailand '65-67, Crisis Corps 2005