Al Gore message too political? - my apologies

  • Susan Silber
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
      Hello NorCal Community,

      I received a few email messages from my posting yesterday alleging that the message asking folks to sign Al Gore's petition was too political and controversial for the NorCal listservs.

      I posted the message because I know that the environment of of great interest to many of you Many RPCVs worked on environmental projects during their service, and a great number Peace Corps Volunteers continue to do so today. The countries that they are working in are already feeling the direct effects of climate change, from droughts to flooding to melting glaciers. This is the overwhelming consensus of the world's scientists, but I understand that some of you might not agree with this statement.

      Al Gore has emerged as a champion in the climate crisis arena, as you all know. Though he was a politician until 2000, I believe that people in any political party could resonate with his views, as the effects of the environment - including climate change - affect everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

      Nonetheless, I respect the views of those who were opposed to my posting, and will refrain from sending such messages that are as "political" as Al Gore's statements and "controversial" as climate change.

      respectfully,

      Susan Silber
      Costa Rica 93-95

      Susan Silber <sus_si@...> wrote: Here's an important petition that addresses climate change.

      Note: forwarded message attached.

    • Bosco So
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
        Huh? What controversy?

        Even the right-wingers (Newt Gingrich, et al - http://tinyurl.com/299qvx)
        are embracing the idea that a healthy environment is necessary for a healthy
        democracy and economy. Though there's skepticism about their motives (
        http://tinyurl.com/27ootn), the general consensus is that climate change is
        real.

        Did someone fall behind on their Ditto Head pseudo-news source?

        -- Bosco, Liberia 87-89

        On Dec 14, 2007 3:08 PM, Susan Silber <sus_si@...> wrote:

        > Hello NorCal Community,
        >
        > I received a few email messages from my posting yesterday alleging that
        > the message asking folks to sign Al Gore's petition was too political and
        > controversial for the NorCal listservs.
        >
        > I posted the message because I know that the environment of of great
        > interest to many of you Many RPCVs worked on environmental projects during
        > their service, and a great number Peace Corps Volunteers continue to do so
        > today. The countries that they are working in are already feeling the direct
        > effects of climate change, from droughts to flooding to melting glaciers.
        > This is the overwhelming consensus of the world's scientists, but I
        > understand that some of you might not agree with this statement.
        >
        > Al Gore has emerged as a champion in the climate crisis arena, as you all
        > know. Though he was a politician until 2000, I believe that people in any
        > political party could resonate with his views, as the effects of the
        > environment - including climate change - affect everyone, regardless of
        > political affiliation.
        >
        > Nonetheless, I respect the views of those who were opposed to my posting,
        > and will refrain from sending such messages that are as "political" as Al
        > Gore's statements and "controversial" as climate change.
        >
        > respectfully,
        >
        > Susan Silber
        > Costa Rica 93-95
        >
        > Susan Silber <sus_si@... <sus_si%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Here's an
        > important petition that addresses climate change.
        >
        > Note: forwarded message attached.

      • how3ird
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
          Hi Susan,
          Just my two cents is NorCal has set up a separate yahoo group
          called "advocacy" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorCalPCAAdvocacy/ for
          posting information and comments on political issues of interest to
          RPCVs, so finding your announcement in the general Bland Postings
          section may have appeared out of place to some folks.

          Howard Stateman
          Thailsn 75-77
        • Jerry A. Schneider
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
            I feel Susan has no need to apoligize. If you are a
            RPCV and you are complaining about e-mails that
            support envirnmental causes then you should turn in
            your RPCV badge. It is obvious that the people
            complaining where not real PCV's but people using the
            organization to better their resume at the expense of
            the communities they served in.

            Jerry

            --- Susan Silber <sus_si@...> wrote:

            > Hello NorCal Community,
            >
            > I received a few email messages from my posting
            > yesterday alleging that the message asking folks to
            > sign Al Gore's petition was too political and
            > controversial for the NorCal listservs.
            >
            > I posted the message because I know that the
            > environment of of great interest to many of you
            > Many RPCVs worked on environmental projects during
            > their service, and a great number Peace Corps
            > Volunteers continue to do so today. The countries
            > that they are working in are already feeling the
            > direct effects of climate change, from droughts to
            > flooding to melting glaciers. This is the
            > overwhelming consensus of the world's scientists,
            > but I understand that some of you might not agree
            > with this statement.
            >
            > Al Gore has emerged as a champion in the climate
            > crisis arena, as you all know. Though he was a
            > politician until 2000, I believe that people in any
            > political party could resonate with his views, as
            > the effects of the environment - including climate
            > change - affect everyone, regardless of political
            > affiliation.
            >
            > Nonetheless, I respect the views of those who were
            > opposed to my posting, and will refrain from sending
            > such messages that are as "political" as Al Gore's
            > statements and "controversial" as climate change.
            >
            > respectfully,
            >
            > Susan Silber
            > Costa Rica 93-95
            >

            > Susan Silber <sus_si@...> wrote:
            > Here's an important petition that
            > addresses climate change.
            >
            > Note: forwarded message attached.

            > removed]

            > removed]

            Jerry A. Schneider
            Cell # 415-706-0396
            Fax # 510-536-4809

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Peter Montalbano
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
              Thanks, Howard--it would definitely make sense to post there, but i imagine there are also a lot of us who don't get postings from that list who would be interested in hearing about such topics as well as about volunteer opportunities, job opportunities, room vacancies, etc. This may not be the right forum for true rants and raves, but I think it doesn't hurt to have some political opportunities thrown in from time to time.
              -P

              On Dec 14, 2007 3:08 PM, Susan Silber <sus_si@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > Hello NorCal Community,

              > I received a few email messages from my posting yesterday alleging that

              > the message asking folks to sign Al Gore's petition was too political and

              > controversial for the NorCal listservs.

              > I posted the message because I know that the environment of of great

              > interest to many of you Many RPCVs worked on environmental projects during

              > their service, and a great number Peace Corps Volunteers continue to do so

              > today. The countries that they are working in are already feeling the direct

              > effects of climate change, from droughts to flooding to melting glaciers.

              > This is the overwhelming consensus of the world's scientists, but I

              > understand that some of you might not agree with this statement.

              > Al Gore has emerged as a champion in the climate crisis arena, as you all

              > know. Though he was a politician until 2000, I believe that people in any

              > political party could resonate with his views, as the effects of the

              > environment - including climate change - affect everyone, regardless of

              > political affiliation.

              > Nonetheless, I respect the views of those who were opposed to my posting,

              > and will refrain from sending such messages that are as "political" as Al

              > Gore's statements and "controversial" as climate change.

              > respectfully,

              > Susan Silber

              > Costa Rica 93-95

              > Susan Silber <sus_si@yahoo. com <sus_si%40yahoo. com>> wrote: Here's an

              > important petition that addresses climate change.

              > Note: forwarded message attached.

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • D Zabaldo
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2007
                Hi all,

                I've been watching the email traffic on this issue, and I have to say
                that what disturbs me far more than Susan's original posting, which I
                think was non-partisan and of interest to the community, is the reply
                below that people who didn't like it must not be "real PCV's" etc.

                The tolerance and respect that "real PCV's" demonstrate--and receive
                from host country nationals--is a critical element of the experience.
                Denigrating people because you don't agree with them, and especially
                doing so on this listserv, seems to me to be inimical to the values
                that this community upholds. One does not need to "turn in their RPCV
                badge" based on their environmental beliefs. What's next? Fiscal
                conservatives tossed out because they smack of right-wingers?

                This community shares interests and values, but it doesn't have to
                agree on everything--and discussing the appropriate places for types
                of postings is reasonable, as in the suggestion of the advocacy link.
                However, demeaning people's character because they disagree with a
                particular position is exactly how current political officials
                suppress debate and stifle democracy. One would hope the RPCV
                community would be a better model for openness and respect.

                There is a genuine debate to be engaged in regarding the cause of
                global warming--and it is not necessarily a partisan one, though
                politicians tend to use it as one. For reference on a dissenting view
                to Gore, people might want to check out a documentary called The
                Great Global Warming Swindle. This is not to say that I'm a proponent
                of a particular position, but only that I think the issue is worth
                being informed about--and that no one needs to be attacked to do it.

                Regards,
                Deana Zabaldo
                Nepal 99-01

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15, 2007
                  We all know through history the Peace Corps is an
                  activist organization that promotes the well being of
                  community and the environment among other things.
                  This is a givin. If an RPCV responds by trying to
                  crush mention of these topics on a RPCV message board
                  then they must not support these goals of the Peace
                  Corps. If someone wishes to create problems just so
                  to have the right to express something then they
                  should go to the many conservative talk radio shows
                  and commence their yelling and generalities

                  I believe in all types of commentary but just because
                  you have an opinion does not give you the right to
                  state it. It is as simple as this, if you do not
                  support environmental activism then this RPCV board
                  man not be your bag baby!

                  Jerry

                  Jerry A. Schneider
                  Cell # 415-706-0396
                  Fax # 510-536-4809

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • sheenagj
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 15, 2007
                    Regardless of where one stands on the issue, it doesn't hurt to hear
                    what other people have to say about it. And if one disagrees with a
                    proposed petition, then delete the email and move on.

                    One of the overarching themes in Peace Corps is to be confronted with
                    opinions or issues in which we may not necessarily agree with, but we
                    are encouraged to digest them with an open mind. Has it been so long
                    that we have forgotten how to do that? Must we wrap ourselves in a
                    protective shroud of opinion that only coincides with ours? ...I
                    believe we as RPCV's are stronger than that, and can handle exposure
                    to ideas which we may not share. Let's not forget how we did this
                    every day of our Peace Corps service.

                    Indeed, this conversation might have been more appropriate in the
                    advocacy group. Nonetheless, no apologies are necessary Susan. Thank
                    you for sharing.

                    Sheena Jones
                    Madagascar 2005-2007

                    --- In NorCalPCA@yahoogroups.com, D Zabaldo <unlisted@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I've been watching the email traffic on this issue, and I have to say
                    > that what disturbs me far more than Susan's original posting, which I
                    > think was non-partisan and of interest to the community, is the reply
                    > below that people who didn't like it must not be "real PCV's" etc.
                    >
                    > The tolerance and respect that "real PCV's" demonstrate--and receive
                    > from host country nationals--is a critical element of the experience.
                    > Denigrating people because you don't agree with them, and especially
                    > doing so on this listserv, seems to me to be inimical to the values
                    > that this community upholds. One does not need to "turn in their RPCV
                    > badge" based on their environmental beliefs. What's next? Fiscal
                    > conservatives tossed out because they smack of right-wingers?
                    >
                    > This community shares interests and values, but it doesn't have to
                    > agree on everything--and discussing the appropriate places for types
                    > of postings is reasonable, as in the suggestion of the advocacy link.
                    > However, demeaning people's character because they disagree with a
                    > particular position is exactly how current political officials
                    > suppress debate and stifle democracy. One would hope the RPCV
                    > community would be a better model for openness and respect.
                    >
                    > There is a genuine debate to be engaged in regarding the cause of
                    > global warming--and it is not necessarily a partisan one, though
                    > politicians tend to use it as one. For reference on a dissenting view
                    > to Gore, people might want to check out a documentary called The
                    > Great Global Warming Swindle. This is not to say that I'm a proponent
                    > of a particular position, but only that I think the issue is worth
                    > being informed about--and that no one needs to be attacked to do it.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Deana Zabaldo
                    > Nepal 99-01
                    >

                    > >> I feel Susan has no need to apoligize. If you are a
                    > >> RPCV and you are complaining about e-mails that
                    > >> support envirnmental causes then you should turn in
                    > >> your RPCV badge. It is obvious that the people
                    > >> complaining where not real PCV's but people using the
                    > >> organization to better their resume at the expense of
                    > >> the communities they served in.

                  • Mike Learned
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 15, 2007
                      Friends:
                      I've never sent a message on either of the norcal listservs. This is the most interesting conversation ever (at least in the two years or so I've been a participant). Keep it going. I think this is what a listserv is for.
                      Mike Learned, Nyasaland then Malawi (before most all of you were born)