Crisis Corps in south Asia - update

  • Ben Bellows
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25 4:43 PM
      The second group of Crisis Corps volunteers going to Thailand is in the
      clearance process and is expected to arrive at the end of May.  Once
      again, these positions include the following:

      Carpenters
      # of CCVs:        3 Positions
      Duration:           6 Months

      Small Business Development Volunteer
      # of CCVs:        1 Position
      Duration:          6 Months

      Water Systems Engineer
      # of CCVs:        1 Position
      Duration:          3 Months

      Camp Project Advisor
      # of CCVs:        1 Position
      Duration:          6 Months

      Project Manager
      # of CCVs:        2 Positions
      Duration:          6 Months

      Youth Recreational Activities Volunteer
      # of CCVs:        2 Positions
      Duration:          6 Months

      Meanwhile, Crisis Corps Coordinator, Bill Knowlton is hard at work
      developing positions for our third group of volunteers who are expected
      to arrive in Thailand around the beginning of July.  We hope to have
      more information on the project types in the next Status Update.

      Sri Lanka Update
      Our Country Representative (CR) in Sri Lanka, Robin Contino, has made
      significant progress with developing a program in the short time that
      she has been in the country.  Crisis Corps' goal is to send a total of
      30 volunteers in two separate input groups, in mid and late June, for
      three month assignments.

      Assignments have not been finalized but we anticipate that all projects
      will focus on improving coordination among organizations involved in the
      reconstruction efforts.  Below is a brief overview of the identified
      needs in Sri Lanka.  These are NOT official positions, but the CR
      anticipates projects within these areas.

      1. Organizational Development:  Many local NGOs lack organization and
      coordination.  They need support in basic office management, report
      writing, coordination of resources/efforts and monitoring and evaluation
      measures.
      2. IT Training & Support: Some internally-displaced persons (IDP) camps
      have databases and or computer systems for various purposes.  There is a
      need to train people in IT skills as well as to work with the IDP camps
      in developing IT systems and management.
      3. Needs Assessments:  Work in teams with a partner organization to
      travel up and down the coastal areas in order to conduct a survey on the
      services provided, gaps and to distribute the findings to big
      organizations so that they can work on programming and projects to fill
      such gaps.
      4. Technical Skills Training: Capacity Building in Carpentry,
      Electrician, Psychosocial, Small Business, Health.
      5. Economic Recovery: Training in new skills sets and or financial
      management.

      Our Country Rep is discussing placements with both local and
      international NGOs.  As of today we do not have any more specific
      information, however, we are working on finalizing these assignments and
      hope to open them in the coming weeks.
    • moriah hart
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 8:43 AM
        The announcement below is from AFS an excellent program that sent me to the
        Soviet Union when I was in high school--I think it prepared me for Peace
        Corps. As always they need home hosts (unpaid) for high school exchange
        students from all over the world. It is a great way to bring the world home
        and continue to build cultural bridges.

        Moriah Hart
        Moldova 97-99

        "Bring the World to Your Family Without Leaving Home!

        This August more than 2,700 high school exchange students from around the
        world will arrive. Would you share your home with one of these students for
        the school year or a semester?

        AFS Intercultural Programs/USA has led student exchanges for more than 50
        years. We know family life makes all the difference for a young visitor.
        When you open your home and heart, you introduce the world to your family
        and give your AFS student the opportunity to take home piece of America.

        Please let Jean McQuady, 707-996-7210, know if you or your family and
        friends are able to host an AFS Exchange Student. Thank you for helping us
        welcome outstanding exchange students with caring American families like
        yours!"