AmeriCorps Forestry Program Assistant Position in Truckee, CA
- Final Open Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership position!
Focus on Forestry!
There is one remaining AmeriCorps member position open with the Sierra
Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership. The focus is on educating Sierra
residents about community based forestry and biomass projects. The
position is based with the well established and cutting edge Sierra
So apply today! This member position is full-time for one year
(February - December 2007) and earns a $1200/month living allowance
with health insurance and possible child care. At the end of the year
of service, members receive an Education Award of $4725 to be applied
to past student loans or future higher education. Student loan
forbearance during the year of service is also possible.
When: This position must be filled As Soon As Possible.
Location: Truckee, CA
Program Description: The Sierra Business Council (SBC) is a nonprofit
association of more than seven hundred local businesses, agencies, and
individuals working to secure the social, natural, and financial
health of the Sierra Nevada region for this and future generations.
SBC supports a place-based community investment strategy for built and
natural landscapes that simultaneously improves economic and
environmental health. The SBC Forestry program is an effort to find
environmentally and economically feasible strategies to restore the
forests of the Sierra Nevada for wildlife value, scenic and
recreational qualities, watershed heath, and water and air quality.
The success of this project depends on public education and
collaboration between forest managers and the environmental community
Service position: The Forestry Program Assistant will assist with
research for public education outreach on new forest practices,
including community based forestry and biomass projects, and organize
data and assist with the production of educational materials and
outreach events. The Program Assistant will also do public educational
presentations on model forest practices.
For More on SBC: http://www.sbcouncil.org
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
* Ability to work with local community members, conservation groups
* Experience organizing events
* Skills facilitating and/or participating in group meetings
* Ability to lay out work tasks, identify resources, focus work and
complete tasks on time
* Strong writing skills
* Public speaking and outreach skills
* Independent, highly motivated, and ability to meet deadlines with
* Passion for the natural environment
* Proficiency using personal computers and internet
* Ability to travel in the Sierra
* Physical ability to perform strenuous activities at high elevations
Compensation and Benefits
* Full-time AmeriCorps Service positions from February and concluding
December 31st, 2007.
* AmeriCorps Members will receive up to 340 hours of technical,
ecological and skills-development training throughout the year.
* AmeriCorps Members will receive a monthly stipend of $1200 and
standard health insurance.
* AmeriCorps Education Award of $4,725 will be granted upon
completion of the program for use on existing qualified student loans or
future higher education expenses.
How to Apply:
* Send a one page cover letter summarizing your interest in the
program and position and your best qualifications.
* Attach your resume
* Email the cover letter and resume immediately to
For More on Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership visit:
Or call Do Lee, Regional Coordinator, Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps
Partnership at 530-542-4546 x 302
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]