Hear visionary Peter Williams talk about architectural design in developing nations on Oct. 7
Humanitarian Architect PETER WILLIAMS
Designing with a Small "D": Kitchens, Bathrooms and a Lot of Insects
NorCal Peace Corps Association, UC/Berkeley College of Environmental Design, and the Commonwealth Club of CA are partnering in “Designing with a Small "D": Kitchens, Bathrooms and a Lot of Insects,” featuring ARCHIVE Founder & CEO Peter Williams.
Consider: 1 in every 10 persons that move to a city each year – moves directly into a home that is overcrowded, structurally unsound, has inadequate sanitation and/or where the risk of eviction looms continually. Among the most economically disadvantaged in this group, 6 out of 10 people die from infectious disease each year. Projections about urban health and urban growth warrant an innovative strategy which invests in building green, building health and building both affordably. Design can be the ultimate catalyst here!
Taking these issues into consideration, architect Peter Williams designs healthy homes to help prevent illnesses like cholera and malaria in poor and underserved communities through his non-profit Architecture for Health in Vulnerable Environments. Mr. Williams will discuss why he founded ARCHIVES and how it has helped in many devastating situations, such as in the 2010 Haitian earthquake.
Date: Monday, Oct 7, 2013
Time: 6:00 p.m. with Networking Reception at 5:30 p.m.
Location: The Commonwealth Club (SF); 595 Market Street (2nd floor) @ Second St. (Montgomery St. BART Station); San Francisco
Registration: FREE for members of the Club, $20 standard, $7 for students (with valid ID).
NorCal PCA members-- To redeem the discounted ticket:
1. Visit the direct event page: http://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/2013-10-07/designing-small-d-kitchens-bathrooms-and-lot-insects-mlf
2. Select the number of tickets desired at the bottom of the event page (each ticket-buyer will only be able to purchase two tickets at the discounted rate).
3. Select “Add to Basket” and proceed to check-out.
4. At the check-out page, enter coupon code: designingpeterwilliams (keep in mind that coupon code is CASE SENSITIVE).
5. If there is any trouble redeeming the coupon online, it can also be used by calling our automated ticket line at 415-597-6705
Program Organizer: Karen Keefer, RPCV/Nigeria & Liberia, X-Staff/PC HQ