Project Peace- Day of Peace- August 24, 1013

  • Pat Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 2:16 PM

      Please, mark your calendar and register for a Project Peace service opportunity.

      Consider asking friends, colleagues, or neighbors to this event which benefits local service providers and schools.  You may be surprised at how many are eager to serve, but don't know where/how to start.  A good start is often an invitation from YOU! Make a day of it and grab lunch after together.

      Project Peace Day of Peace is coming up August 24th!!
      9 a.m.-12 p.m.- come for what you are able
      Coffee and bagels provided at all sites on a first come first served basis

      BERKELEY SITE
      LeConte Elementary- We will be helping LeConte's staff and teachers with some clean up projects. Volunteers will help with organizing rooms and general campus clean up.  Space is limited to 25.  City: Berkeley. MAP

      OAKLAND SITES

      Claremont Middle School- Our longtime community partner Claremont Middle school in Oakland is looking for help with buildings and grounds improvements throughout the campus.  We will assist the PTA both inside and out. Space limited to 100.  City: Oakland.  MAP

      Emerson Elementary SchoolVolunteers will assist pta and staff with gardening, prepping the campus for the start of school, lots of cleaning, and general faciliites maintence. Space is limited to 35 at this site. City: Oakland MAP

      Castro Valley Site

      Marshall Elementary School- We are pleased, to be partnering again with a school in Castro Valley. Volunteers will assist staff with general campus clean up and other projects TBD. Space is limited to 35 at this site. City: Castro Valley MAP

      Here is a glimpse at how a Day of Peace can benefit the communities we live in:
      • Last year Project Peace mobilized nearly 1,000 volunteers and provided over 2,500 service hours to 9 sites at 4 Days of Peace
      • A Day of Peace is an incredible opportunity to bring along friends/colleagues who are not interested in church, but want to serve.  Serving alongside people who do go to church can offer a glimpse into the life of a Christian and be a possible stepping stone into conversations of faith.
      • Great opportunity to help severely underfunded local schools and social service providers get an incredible amount of work done for free
      • Project Peace is able to be the hands and feet of the church without being off putting to service providers.  Every time we host a Day of Peace service providers are absolutely blown away that people unconnected to them would donate their time.
      • Recently read a book about children/service learning and appreciated this comment, "Service involvement changes children and helps clarify their values.  They realize their capacity to give, and they learn patience and compassion.  Service becomes a part of children's identity; they come to see volunteering as part of who they are and what they do." Bring your kids- bring their scooters, bikes, chalk, whatever to help them have fun serving.
      Ways you can help:
      • Invite friends, neighbors, colleagues to attend and get lunch after
      • Let your small group and neighborhood groups know about the Day of Peace and encourage people to REGISTER
      • Like Project Peace East Bay on Facebook
      What is Project Peace?
      Some of you may be wondering about Project Peace.  For a full description see the website.

       Project Peace East Bay has been active in Berkeley and Oakland since 2006, and was officially incorporated as a 501(c)3 California nonprofit in December 2007.  Project Peace was founded by Christ Church East Bay.

      Project Peace exists to create partnerships between local churches and services that work together for just and sustainable communities in Berkeley, Oakland, and surrounding areas.

      What exactly is a Day of Peace?
      Day of Peace is a coordinated effort by Project Peace East Bay to bring together local faith-based groups, non-profit organizations, and East Bay social service providers in order to promote the common good of our East Bay communities through quarterly volunteer serviceopportunities.  Project Peace's hope is that through these partnerships our local East Bay communities will become more environmentally, economically and socially sustainable.  A Day of Peace is an opportunity for people from very different backgrounds to come together simply to love and serve our shared community. Whether you are a friend, neighbor, colleague, someone who cares very deeply about the agency that is being served, or someone who just wants to make new friends, the Day of Peace is a great place for you to get connected into working towards more sustainable communities.
       Days of Peace are not overtly religious projects (there is no teaching or prayer), and the agencies and organizations served are not faith-based non-profits. Thus, a Day of Peace creates an opportunity for churched and unchurched, spiritual and secular, religious and a-religious alike to come together simply to love and serve our shared community.

      Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding the Day of Peace!

      Best
      Jen

      Jen McKillips
      Executive Director