This Weds - RPCV Story Telling Workshop

  • NorCal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      Time: 7/31/13 Wed (6:30 PM - 8:00 PM)
      201 Mission Street, Ste 2750, San Francisco
      RSVP: Will Spargur will [AT] norcalpca [DOT] org

      NorCal is hosting a story telling workshop lead by Alexander Labinov a gifted story teller who has been featured on KQED's Snap Judgment (http://snapjudgment.org/wine-chaser) and contributed to our Newsletter (Ghost's of a Communist Past http://norcalpca.org/newcontent.cfm?id_con=127).

      "Story Jams", at their core, are short form art. It's about conveying something in a short period via some kind of medium: voice, music, gestures, emotions, or so forth. Alex will be sharing examples of his favorite "story jams" for the first 15-20 minutes of this session. Afterwards, we'll spend time talking about what people liked and didn't like from those story jams. He'll have clips from Jason Silva's Shots of Awe, NPR's Snap Judgement, and one of his own stories. He'll also talk about the process of creating a story: visualizing it in graphs, the heart-beat strategy, and other ideas.

      Attendees should come to the session ready to share an experienced - it doesn't have to be structured - and as a group we'll turn it into a short form art. All experiences welcome! This is important in large part because as RPCVs, we don't really know how to share our stories in a non-PCV context.